Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
DSGoose DSGoose is offline

Default Bizzarre printing issue: outlook DOC attachments

Here's my situation: Running Office 2003 Pro with SP2 installed. Only
Outlook is open. I'm not sure if this is relevant, but Outlook is configured
to NOT use Word for editing purposes. I receive a document from Hong Kong
with a Word doc attached.

When I double-click the attachment, Word launches and the document is
opened. If I attempt to print the document using File, Print, OK, an error
is immediately displayed saying "Windows cannot print due to a problem with
the printer setup. Try one or more of the following: Run a test page; Make
sure the printer is turned on; Reinstall the driver. Note that I have no
other printing problems with my computer or the printer.

Interestingly, if I attempt to print the document by using File, Print,
select another printer, change my mind and re-select the original default
printer, and click OK, well then the document prints.

The Hong Kong sender uses a Lexmark laser printer and A4 paper. I use an HP
LaserJet and letter-sized paper. All that automatic A4-Letter resize stuff
is working fine when the job actually prints.

Thanks in advance for any ideas.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
DSGoose DSGoose is offline

I still can't crack this one. In the meantime I've added a button in front
of a macro that selects printer #2, then selects printer #1 again (the
default) and then prints. It adds several seconds to the print process but
at least it works.

Does anyone know where I can find a technical document that explains in
detail what's going on behind the scenes during the process of printing a
Word doc attachment? I am dreading the possibility of going through FileMon
and RegMon captures.

Thanks.