Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
tsam

Default Mail merge

I have a very large report to do at the end of every month. I need to capture
data for alot of different documents. Is there a way to capture all the
information once in one data source?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cindy M -WordMVP- Cindy M  -WordMVP- is offline

Hi ?B?dHNhbQ==?=,

I have a very large report to do at the end of every month. I need to capture
data for alot of different documents. Is there a way to capture all the
information once in one data source?

Your problem description is unclear. You need to expand on what you have in
mind...

The first thing that comes to my mind is: create an Access datasource with a
form and capture the data in the form.

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
tsam tsam is offline

The information that I need to capture is for many different documents. One
document needs to capture names, address, another needs to capture the name
and what the client is due for, another needs to capture the name and if they
are first nation or not. Is there a way to capture it into one database and
then open each form and just see what I need for each form?

"Cindy M -WordMVP-" wrote:

Hi ?B?dHNhbQ==?=,

I have a very large report to do at the end of every month. I need to capture
data for alot of different documents. Is there a way to capture all the
information once in one data source?

Your problem description is unclear. You need to expand on what you have in
mind...

The first thing that comes to my mind is: create an Access datasource with a
form and capture the data in the form.

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Capture from where? It seems that you need to create a data source, which
may be a Word document, a database or an Excel worksheet which contains all
the information you are likely to need relating to each recipient - and then
use mail merge to incorporate the parts of the data that you want for each
document type. This seems to be straightforward mail merge.

tsam wrote:
The information that I need to capture is for many different
documents. One document needs to capture names, address, another
needs to capture the name and what the client is due for, another
needs to capture the name and if they are first nation or not. Is
there a way to capture it into one database and then open each form
and just see what I need for each form?

"Cindy M -WordMVP-" wrote:

Hi ?B?dHNhbQ==?=,

I have a very large report to do at the end of every month. I need
to capture data for alot of different documents. Is there a way to
capture all the information once in one data source?

Your problem description is unclear. You need to expand on what you
have in mind...

The first thing that comes to my mind is: create an Access
datasource with a form and capture the data in the form.

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

This reply is posted in the Newsgroup; please post any follow
question or reply in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cindy M -WordMVP- Cindy M  -WordMVP- is offline

Hi ?B?dHNhbQ==?=,

The information that I need to capture is for many different documents. One
document needs to capture names, address, another needs to capture the name
and what the client is due for, another needs to capture the name and if they
are first nation or not. Is there a way to capture it into one database and
then open each form and just see what I need for each form?

I'm still not exactly sure what your requirements are, but from the sound of it
Word is NOT the right place to capture and manage the data. This sounds very
much like a task for a professionally designed, relational database. Possibly in
Access, if your company doesn't have something like SQL Server already in-place.

A properly designed relational database lets you capture all the data in an
efficient manner (no need to type something like the client address twice) and
use it in any combination your require.

Word's mail merge can link to such data, usually via Queries, Views or Stored
Procedures (depending on what the database type is).