Vince

Default No changes, but asks to save changes

When I open up certain word documents to view without making any changes to
the document, when I go to close the document Word asks if I want to save the
changes (even though there are no changes). It does not happen on all
documents, only some documents. (As a test - If I save the doc under a
different name and compare to the original, it tells me the two are
identical, so there really are no changes).

Any ideas about why this may be happening?
Thanks
Stephanie Krieger

Hi, Vince,

There are several different reasons this can happen, but
it's unlikely that anything is wrong.

Here are two possibilities:

If this happens when you print, one possibility is fields
in the document that are updating when you print the
document -- but which would not appear to be changes.

Another possibility is automation running on your
documents -- though you would probably know if there was
automation running when you open your documents. A
variable or document property (features used to store
information about your document) could be changing that
allows something to happen in your system (like adding
your personal settings to a document, that sort of
thing) -- but those things don't show up in the document
window, so they wouldn't look like changes to you.

If fields are the issue and you don't want this to
happen, go to Tools Options, Print and deselect Update
Fields.

Hope that helps.

Stephanie Krieger
author of Microsoft Office Document Designer (from MS
Learning)
blog: arouet.net

When I open up certain word documents to view without

making any changes to
the document, when I go to close the document Word asks

if I want to save the
changes (even though there are no changes). It does not

happen on all
documents, only some documents. (As a test - If I save

the doc under a
different name and compare to the original, it tells me

the two are
identical, so there really are no changes).

Any ideas about why this may be happening?
Thanks
.

Vince

Thank you ladies for your help.

It was indeed Smart Tags. Turning them off did the trick.

I am grateful.