Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
dazed1

Default sharing/protecting documents

I have a network and there are a couple documents that I (and all others) can
pull up, make changes and save - ONLY if no one else is using that document -
if so, then I can open, make changes, print but not save changes. OK, now I
need to know how to make a new document that I'm creating act this way and I
have no clue how. We do not want anything password protected.

Please help!
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Robert M. Franz (RMF)

dazed1 wrote:
I have a network and there are a couple documents that I (and all others) can
pull up, make changes and save - ONLY if no one else is using that document -
if so, then I can open, make changes, print but not save changes. OK, now I
need to know how to make a new document that I'm creating act this way and I
have no clue how. We do not want anything password protected.

Generally, all documents act like that: Word is not built for two people
to simultaneously work on the same file. This means that, when you open
a file which somebody else has opened before, you should get a
messagebox informing you of this and giving you options to either be
notified when the other person is closing the file, or open a read-only
version of the file. That version you can "save as" to a new name only.

HTH?
Robert
--
/"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign | MS
\ / | MVP
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Charles Kenyon

What you are describing is a document stored on a mutually accessible
network drive. Word locks any file when it is open so that it cannot be
edited by anyone else.
--
Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.

"dazed1" wrote in message
I have a network and there are a couple documents that I (and all others)
can
pull up, make changes and save - ONLY if no one else is using that
document -
if so, then I can open, make changes, print but not save changes. OK, now
need to know how to make a new document that I'm creating act this way and
have no clue how. We do not want anything password protected.

Please help!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jimmy

Hi Robert,

Just 2 quick questions on this:

1) Let's say a file is shared as read only for some users and another single
user has full permissions. Shouldn't it be the case that that single user
could write to the file even if others are viewing it? Do you know of a way
to achieve this?

2) Is there an option in Word to show the messagebox you mentioned before?
Cause I am not getting that anymore, although I remember I used to get it in
the past. Maybe I clicked on a "do not show this in the future" checkbox?

Thanks,
Jimmy