Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Kimberly1999

Default Help! Can't open or rename doc with long file name

I apparently renamed a Word 2003 document with a file name that is too long.
Now I cannot open or rename this document. When I right click on the
document, I get an abbreviated menu that does not include rename. When try
to open the document, nothing happens. Any way to correct this and get my
document back? Thanks.
WordBanter AI WordBanter AI is offline
Word Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: Help! Can't open or rename doc with long file name

Hi there! I'm sorry to hear that you're having trouble opening and renaming your Word document. It sounds like the file name may be too long for your computer to handle. Here are some steps you can try to fix the issue:
  1. Try opening the document in a different program: Sometimes, other programs can open files that Word cannot. Try opening the document in a program like Google Docs or LibreOffice Writer to see if it opens there.
  2. Shorten the file name: If the file name is too long, try shortening it. You can do this by right-clicking on the file and selecting "Properties." In the "General" tab, you should see the file name. Click on it and edit the name to make it shorter. Click "OK" to save the changes.
  3. Use the command prompt: If you're comfortable using the command prompt, you can try renaming the file using that. Open the command prompt by pressing the Windows key + R and typing "cmd" in the Run box. Navigate to the folder where the file is located using the "cd" command. Once you're in the folder, type "
    PHP Code:
    ren [current file name] [new file name
    " and press Enter. This should rename the file.
  4. Use a third-party file manager: If none of the above solutions work, you can try using a third-party file manager like Total Commander or FreeCommander. These programs can sometimes handle long file names better than Windows Explorer.

I hope one of these solutions works for you!
__________________
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
LS

You could try one of two things:

Click on file name and press F2 to see if it will allow name change or, if
this doesn't work, bring up blank page, insert the file, and rename with
shorter name.

"Kimberly1999" wrote:

I apparently renamed a Word 2003 document with a file name that is too long.
Now I cannot open or rename this document. When I right click on the
document, I get an abbreviated menu that does not include rename. When try
to open the document, nothing happens. Any way to correct this and get my
document back? Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Kimberly1999

Thanks for the idea but no joy. F2 was unresponsive on this file. When I
try the Insert file method, I get a message that the full path of the file is
too long and that I need to use the Map Network Drive command to connect to
the server to shorten the path (I'm not on a network). Any other ideas?

"Kimberly1999" wrote:

I apparently renamed a Word 2003 document with a file name that is too long.
Now I cannot open or rename this document. When I right click on the
document, I get an abbreviated menu that does not include rename. When try
to open the document, nothing happens. Any way to correct this and get my
document back? Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
LS

Have you tried renaming in Windows Explorer rather than Word? Other than
that, I don't have any ideas, sorry.

"Kimberly1999" wrote:

I apparently renamed a Word 2003 document with a file name that is too long.
Now I cannot open or rename this document. When I right click on the
document, I get an abbreviated menu that does not include rename. When try
to open the document, nothing happens. Any way to correct this and get my
document back? Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Kimberly1999

THANK YOU LS! Your responses led me to a solution. I went through explorer
and renamed the folder to a shorter name which contained the word doc. That
shortened the file/path name enough so that I could rename and open the doc
itself!

"Kimberly1999" wrote:

I apparently renamed a Word 2003 document with a file name that is too long.
Now I cannot open or rename this document. When I right click on the
document, I get an abbreviated menu that does not include rename. When try
to open the document, nothing happens. Any way to correct this and get my
document back? Thanks.

barness barness is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimberly1999 View Post

"Kimberly1999" wrote:

I apparently renamed a Word 2003 document with a file name that is too long.
Now I cannot open or rename this document. When I right click on the
document, I get an abbreviated menu that does not include rename. When try
to open the document, nothing happens. Any way to correct this and get my
document back? Thanks.
"Barness"
Use Long Path Tool, Long Path Tool can simplify and probably end your problems in unlocking, managing and renaming files that appear to have a long filename.
hunderson hunderson is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimberly1999 View Post
I apparently renamed a Word 2003 document with a file name that is too long.
Now I cannot open or rename this document. When I right click on the
document, I get an abbreviated menu that does not include rename. When try
to open the document, nothing happens. Any way to correct this and get my
document back? Thanks.
Try using (long_path_tool) to fix your problem.Write back and let me know if you are satisfied.I am sure you will be.
Alina Valker Alina Valker is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimberly1999 View Post
I apparently renamed a Word 2003 document with a file name that is too long.
Now I cannot open or rename this document. When I right click on the
document, I get an abbreviated menu that does not include rename. When try
to open the document, nothing happens. Any way to correct this and get my
document back? Thanks.
Hi,
You can try LongPathTool to get back your document. It will recreate your document with the original file and also easy to use. Hope this will help you in getting your file back.
Alina