Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Gordon Biggar Gordon Biggar is offline

Default Shifting of Text Between Columns

There are certain documents for which I keep master layouts (Office 2000).
One of these is of a newsletter format (two columns). Of late, when typing
text into the leftmost column, for example, the text will fill up one-half
of the page and then shift to the next column. As I type more text into the
second column, Word will shift text back over to the first column to fill up
the (unwanted) space. From days gone by, I remember an option to tell Word
to make columns of equal length, which one might very well do on the final
page of a document. But, I'll be darned if I can locate such a command
(e.g. under Format).

I am thankful if one has a solution to my dilemma!

Regards,

Gordon Biggar
Houston, Texas

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Rae Drysdale Rae Drysdale is offline

Text will balance or not depending on whether a final blank line (return) is
highlighted when seleting two columns.
--
Rae Drysdale

"Gordon Biggar" wrote:

There are certain documents for which I keep master layouts (Office 2000).
One of these is of a newsletter format (two columns). Of late, when typing
text into the leftmost column, for example, the text will fill up one-half
of the page and then shift to the next column. As I type more text into the
second column, Word will shift text back over to the first column to fill up
the (unwanted) space. From days gone by, I remember an option to tell Word
to make columns of equal length, which one might very well do on the final
page of a document. But, I'll be darned if I can locate such a command
(e.g. under Format).

I am thankful if one has a solution to my dilemma!

Regards,

Gordon Biggar
Houston, Texas

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

If the two-column section ends with a section break, then by default the
columns will be balanced. There is a Compatibility option (Tools | Options |
Compatibility) that you can use to enable/disable this.

"Gordon Biggar" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Gordon Biggar Gordon Biggar is offline

Happy New Year, Fairhope!

You're right on the money (again). I have a section break at the end of the
columnar text, and by enabling your suggestion I have eliminated the
unbalancing. Now, will I remember this trick, and for how long.....

Merci, madame.

Regards,

Gordon Biggar

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
If the two-column section ends with a section break, then by default the
columns will be balanced. There is a Compatibility option (Tools | Options

Compatibility) that you can use to enable/disable this.

so
all may benefit.

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Gordon Biggar Gordon Biggar is offline

Not sure that I understand your post, Rae. The section that I start work in
on the page has no text, but it is formatted for two columns. As I type
text into the columns, Word automatically balances the columns, which I do
not want until the very last page.

Gordon Biggar