keith

Default Problem with Table of Authorities

Hello, I have inserted numerous table of authority entries in a document, and
now when I try to insert the table, I receive an error message stating that
no table of authority entries are in the document. The exact message is,
"Error! No table of authorities entries found." This does not make sense,
today, because my procedure has worked before.

To create a table entry, I have used one of two processes: (1) copy and
paste an existing entry, and then edit the contents between the quotes. (2),
Follow the path to Insert-reference- index and tables- select references -
mark citation - etc.

Why does this not work now?

thank you
Shauna Kelly

Hi Keith

There are two likely causes.

The most likely cause is that no TA fields have an \l switch. The \l
(lower-case L) switch provides the long citation for the table of
authorities. You need at least one.

The second likely cause is that the categories in the TA and TOA fields
don't match.

The TA field should look something like this:
{ TA \l "Long title text" \s "Short title text" \c 1 }

The TOA field should look something like this:
{ TOA \h \c "1" \p }

Note that the TOA field only generates a table of authorities for those TA
fields where the category switch (\c) matches. Here, they are both in
Category 1 (which by default is cases). If your TOA field is using, say,
category 2, and all your TA fields use category 1, then the TOA won't have
anything to do.

If neither of these is the problem, post back here and copy and paste the
contents of a TA field and the TOA field in your message.

Hope this helps.

Shauna Kelly. Microsoft MVP.
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word