Importing a file

Old June 20th 07, 04:34 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Miaplacidus

Default Importing a file

I have a bunch of tables that come from a third party software. These are
exported in word format. They are mostly in landscape.

Then I have another file which contains the discussion about the tables. It
is in portrait mode.

So, I open the discussion file, put in a section break, switch to lansdscape
and import the file of tables. But when the file comes in the margins are
messed up and parts of the tables and table fromatting are missing. This
mostly happens on the right hand side where the tables apparently "Bump into"
the margins inherited from the discussions document.

Copy and paste didn't work either, and it changed the font size so the
tables would no longer fit.

But, if I do it in reverse, start with the tables document and import the
discussion on top of it, everything works OK.

Is there a way to specify when you want to bring in the formatting with a
new document and when you want to enforce the existing formatting? It seems
as if when you import a file, you shold get the file and the formatting. Why
does this seem unpredictable?

I'm sure there is something about style sheets or whatever that I don't
understand, and the help section seems less than helpful.

Suggestions?
Old July 6th 07, 08:53 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Robert M. Franz (RMF)

Hi MIa

Miaplacidus wrote:
[...]

"Formatting" is a pretty complex thing in Word. You see a paragraph in,
say, Arial 11pt, but to Word it might be style: Normal, and Arial 11pt
is part of the style definition. Or, it might be style: Normal, + font
size 11pt, if Arial 10pt is part of the style definition.

What I would try in your case is copy, then Edit | Paste Special. If you
need to compile a Word document from different sources, and you need to
preserve the original layout, then chances are more often than not that
you need to redo some of the formatting.

HTH
Robert
--
/"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign | MS