Joe_in_Texas

Default mail merge data source saved on sharepoint

I am using Excel 2003, Word 2003, and Sharepoint Portal Server 2003. My
excel worksheet is saved on the sharepoint portal server. My word document
is in the save folder on the sharepoint portal server. When I try to link
from the word document to the excel spreadsheet to facilitate my mail merge
application, I cannot find the spreadsheet in the directories that are
displayed.
Peter Jamieson

I don't have SharePoint set up here right now, but AFAIK the basic problem
is that Word will not let you use an Internet URL to access a file data
source. I believe that with SharePoint you are essentially using URLs to
access files, so unfortunately although Sharepoint is fine for storing Word
documents it's useless for storing their data sources.

If you are able to access the same file via Windows networking you may be
able to proceed from there, but I doubt that's how many people have their
SharePoint systems set up.

Peter Jamieson