Welshy Welshy is offline
Junior Member

Location: UK
Default How do I combine and print off two A4 MS Word documents onto A3

Hi all,

My Son has to do a newspaper for his geography homework. He has done these in A4 format. The fornt page is with a Header, but the other pages aren't. He did this in Microsoft word 2007.

The problem he has is that he needs to print two of these A4 pages, side by side onto an A3 page. (He has an A3 printer).

We are having issues trying to do it. Can someone please explain (bearing in mind that they were made and saved in A4 format, and the first page has the header image on it) how to print them side by side onto an A3 sheet, so that; when folded in half, they open up like a real newspaper / book, please?

I have seen replies to a similar issue based on using word 2000, but I can't get it to work on Word 2007. IE: nothing lines up correctly. The header also apperas on the second page, and if I delete it there, it will also delete from the first (front) page too. The first page appears to in portrait, and the second page seems to be in landscape, and it even (in some cases) spreads onto a third page?

I have seen this instruction on this forum:

Assuming Word 2000 or above, in the Print dialog, select "2 pages per sheet"
in the Zoom: Pages per sheet box.

I have just seen the "2 Pages per sheet" under the heading: View - Zoom - Many pages - 1 x 2. But there don't seem to be a way of adding another page to its side.

We need help as soon as possible on this please in an easy exact step by step guide, kind of way, if someone has the patience and time please?

Many thanks.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

"2 pages per sheet" is the answer, but not in the Print dialog. Instead set
the document up properly in Page Setup.

The easiest way (IMO) to access the Page Setup dialog is to click at the top
of or just above the horizontal ruler. But you can also use the dialog
launcher (the tiny, inconspicuous arrow in the bottom right corner) in the
Page Setup group on the Page Layout tab (or use Custom Margins... on the
Margins menu or More Paper Sizes... on the Size menu).

Once you have opened the Page Setup dialog, by any method:

1. On the Paper tab, choose A3 as the paper size.

2. On the Margins tab, choose Landscape as the orientation.

3. Then, under "Multiple pages," choose "2 pages per sheet." The preview
will show that you will get two portrait pages side-by-size on a landscape
sheet.

These pages will behave just exactly the same as ordinary A4 pages printed
to A4 paper. You can use separate running heads, page borders--anything you
would use on a separate page--but they will be printed 2-up.

Note, however, that this will merely print two pages on a sheet. If the
document is longer than two pages and you want the pages to print in the
correct order for folding into a booklet (or newspaper), you must choose
"Book fold" instead of "2 pages per sheet." The result will appear to be
exactly the same--pages will still appear in page number order in the
document--but when they print, they will print in the correct order for
folding. For example, if the newspaper is just a single sheet, one side will
be pages 4 and 1 and the other side 2 and 3.

Duplexing "book fold" documents can be problematic and may require some
trial and error to get the desired results. If the document is short, the
simplest approach may be to print the entire thing, then flip it and print
again with the pages in reverse order, thus producing two complete copies.

http://word.mvps.org

--
Welshy

Welshy Welshy is offline
Junior Member

Location: UK

Thanks, I have tried that, but it just prints out over two pages (A3), and it cuts off each side, and more or less prints out in the center.

I forgot to add that these were saved as individual pages. with various coumns. IE one column, 2 and sometimes 3 on each page.

Also, when it pints out, it prints them out the length of the A3 sheet instead of the width of the A3 sheet.

It needs, what I can only described as: if it was an image - you could rotate the image 90 degrees etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzanne S. Barnhill View Post

"Welshy" wrote in message

[...]

www.talk.electricianforum.co.uk - The UK's Leading and Most Respected Electricians Forum.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

If the original document is A4, then changing to A3 and "2 pages per sheet"
or "Book fold" (in Page Setup, not in the Print dialog) should give exactly
the result you want. Your columns and all other formatting should be exactly
preserved. If by "saved as individual pages" you mean that each page is a
separate document, then you will need to combine the pages into a single
document for printing. Did you make sure to change the orientation to
Landscape? (This happens automatically if you choose "Book fold.") Are you
sure you have A3 selected as the paper size?

http://word.mvps.org

Suzanne S. Barnhill;491709 Wrote:
[...]

"Welshy" wrote in message
...-

[...]

-

' www.talk.electricianforum.co.uk'
(
http://www.talk.electricianforum.co.uk) - The UK's Leading and Most
Respected Electricians Forum.

--
Welshy

Welshy Welshy is offline
Junior Member

Location: UK

Hi Suzanne,

Thanks for your reply, I got so fed up of trying, and wasting ink and A3 sheets, I decide to, and successfully acheived it, via a PDF method - It was a lot easier and worked.

www.talk.electricianforum.co.uk - The UK's Leading and Most Respected Electricians Forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzanne S. Barnhill View Post
If the original document is A4, then changing to A3 and "2 pages per sheet"
or "Book fold" (in Page Setup, not in the Print dialog) should give exactly
the result you want. Your columns and all other formatting should be exactly
preserved. If by "saved as individual pages" you mean that each page is a
separate document, then you will need to combine the pages into a single
document for printing. Did you make sure to change the orientation to
Landscape? (This happens automatically if you choose "Book fold.") Are you
sure you have A3 selected as the paper size?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

Sometimes, especially under pressure of time, you just have to go with
whatever works.

http://word.mvps.org