Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Chris K.

Default Continuous Section breaks, Next page section breaks, headers and f

I am making a family cookbook (up to 200 pages now) that has different next
page sections for different catagories and my thought was odd/even footers
to keep the pages on the outside. Worked great!!! Then in comes somone else
who changed my recipes to "columns" instead of tabbing here, there, moving
stuff around up and down like I did. It worked MUCH better and turned out
beautifully and now everything is down to the wire until I went to finish the
headers/footers. Now, they are mostly odd footer pages where a new
continious section break has been added on that page, Now there are new odd
page footers where "technically" they should be even pages and there are a
very few even pages here and there. Can anyone help? My intentions were
good, I just made a mess. Sorry. If you can figure this out, you are
wonderul.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Cindy M -WordMVP-

Hi ?B?Q2hyaXMgSy4=?=,

Try replacing the columns with TABLES, and removing the continuous section
breaks.

as a matter of fact: can you be more precise about why you used section breaks
for "different categories"?

I am making a family cookbook (up to 200 pages now) that has different next
page sections for different catagories and my thought was odd/even footers
to keep the pages on the outside. Worked great!!! Then in comes somone else
who changed my recipes to "columns" instead of tabbing here, there, moving
stuff around up and down like I did. It worked MUCH better and turned out
beautifully and now everything is down to the wire until I went to finish the
headers/footers. Now, they are mostly odd footer pages where a new
continious section break has been added on that page, Now there are new odd
page footers where "technically" they should be even pages and there are a
very few even pages here and there. Can anyone help? My intentions were
good, I just made a mess. Sorry. If you can figure this out, you are
wonderul.

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Chris K.

Default Continuous Section breaks, Next page section breaks, headers a

Breads, Appetizers, Cookies. . .

There were about 10 catagories. Everything was fine. I had used tabs from
the first column to the second column in the recipes but I had to fiddle
around with it a lot. About 3/4 of the way through, I changed them all to
columns because it was much, much easier to type them and use the column
feature. I did not realize I was now creating a new section (continuous)
every time I typed a new recipe.

I found where I can specify the pages to be on the outside of each page and
I may have to settle for that as opposed to some of the other stuff I wanted
in the footer on alternating odd/even pages.

I appreciate your help!!!! I may just have reconfigure each recipe to a
table format.

"Cindy M -WordMVP-" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

It should still be possible to do what you want, but you may have to access
the "hidden" sections deviously. If it's just a matter of page numbers, you
can place your insertion point in one of the continuous sections and go to
Insert | Page Numbers | Format. (Be careful to use Close rather than OK when
exiting the Insert Page Numbers dialog.) If you need to access the
headers/footers themselves, insert a temporary page break in the middle of
the center section, then remove it after you've fixed the header/footer.

Alternatively, remove all the section breaks, get the headers and footers
working (make good use of the StyleRef field so you won't have to change the
header/footer too often), and then restore your multicolumn sections.

"Cindy M -WordMVP-" wrote:

[...]

or reply
in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Chris K.

THANKS!!! I will try each suggestion to see which one is easier. I
appreciate your input so much!

"Cindy M -WordMVP-" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
LynneG LynneG is offline

I'm sorry my message is not specifically related to Chris's questions, but
I'm new to the forum and can't get the "new thread" button to give me a
window in which to compose my question. (If you can tell me why that's
happening, I'd like to know.)

I am using Word 2002 for XP and formatting a multi-section book. Although
all section breaks are set for "new page" (also designated for different odd
and even pages, different first page), if the "new page" happens to be an
even page, it will insert a blank page to force the first page of the new
section to an odd page. It is acting as if I had chosen "odd page" for my
section breaks.

I'm not seeing anyone else reporting this, so there must be something else I
have not chosen correctly to make this work right???

Thanks,
Lynne

"Chris K." wrote:

I am making a family cookbook (up to 200 pages now) that has different next
page sections for different catagories and my thought was odd/even footers
to keep the pages on the outside. Worked great!!! Then in comes somone else
who changed my recipes to "columns" instead of tabbing here, there, moving
stuff around up and down like I did. It worked MUCH better and turned out
beautifully and now everything is down to the wire until I went to finish the
headers/footers. Now, they are mostly odd footer pages where a new
continious section break has been added on that page, Now there are new odd
page footers where "technically" they should be even pages and there are a
very few even pages here and there. Can anyone help? My intentions were
good, I just made a mess. Sorry. If you can figure this out, you are
wonderul.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

In File | Page Setup, Layout tab, try changing the "Section start" for
your sections. Does that help?

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Chris K." wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Alyson Alyson is offline

Default Page Numbering stops towards middle of document!!!

HELP!
I am desperately trying to get my entire word document numbered from page
one to the very end. Just simple numbers on the bottom right. I've done this,
but for some reason the page numbering stops in the middle of the document
and doesn't continue. As I've fiddled around I know have my document so that
the numbers are as they should be in the first half of the document, and then
the rest of the document has the same number until the end.

This is a document where I've done a lot of inserting and copying and
pasting, I'm not sure if this is what is messing it up????
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

The contents of headers and footers are stored in Word sections; what you
are seeing indicates that there is a section break somewhere in the middle
of the document, and that footers (or headers, depending on where your page
numbers reside) have been unlinked.

Activate the header/footer area, for example, by double-clicking the header
in Print Layout view. Then add the page number to the section(s) where it is
missing.

To add the page number, use the Page Number button on the Header and Footer
toolbar (Word 2003), or use Page Number | Current Position, found on the
Header & Footer Tools Design tab (Word 2007).

For more on page numbers, headers, and footers, see
http://word.mvps.org/faqs/formatting...rontMatter.htm,
http://word.mvps.org/faqs/numbering/pagenumbering.htm, and
http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/HeaderFooter.htm.

--