JulieHR

Default Everything disappears in Normal view

I've been reading on this board and in Microsoft Help files that text boxes,
pictures, etc. do not show on Normal view in Word (Office 2003).

I have not had a problem with this before, nor my office coworker. We've
both always been able to view everything (including text boxes, clip art,
etc.) in either Normal or Print view. Now, suddenly, today, when switching
from Print view to Normal view - everything on the document disappears -
nothing is there, it shows a blank white space under Normal view. We also
found out from our main IT/Applications person that they just had the same
problem, and didn't know anything about it or how to fix it.

Does anybody have any advice/suggestions? Thank you very much.

Nothing in the drawing layer (and that includes text boxes, drawings, and
wrapped graphics) is displayed in Normal view. If you are unable to see
inline graphics in Normal view, you may have "Picture placeholders" checked
on the View tab of Tools | Options.

"JulieHR" wrote in message
I've been reading on this board and in Microsoft Help files that text

boxes,
pictures, etc. do not show on Normal view in Word (Office 2003).

I have not had a problem with this before, nor my office coworker. We've
both always been able to view everything (including text boxes, clip art,
etc.) in either Normal or Print view. Now, suddenly, today, when switching
from Print view to Normal view - everything on the document disappears -
nothing is there, it shows a blank white space under Normal view. We also
found out from our main IT/Applications person that they just had the same
problem, and didn't know anything about it or how to fix it.

Does anybody have any advice/suggestions? Thank you very much.

Lakeflake

Suzanne's response led me to the place that was causing the problem. While
the Picture Place Holders wasn't checked, there were other boxes that weren't
checked -- primarily the DRAWINGS box. Once that was checked the text boxes
showed up instantly. The wording on my database search took about 5 tries to
come up with something that gave me the right question from which to review
the answers. Thanks.

--
lakeflake

"JulieHR" wrote in message
I've been reading on this board and in Microsoft Help files that text

boxes,
pictures, etc. do not show on Normal view in Word (Office 2003).

I have not had a problem with this before, nor my office coworker. We've
both always been able to view everything (including text boxes, clip art,
etc.) in either Normal or Print view. Now, suddenly, today, when switching
from Print view to Normal view - everything on the document disappears -
nothing is there, it shows a blank white space under Normal view. We also
found out from our main IT/Applications person that they just had the same
problem, and didn't know anything about it or how to fix it.

Does anybody have any advice/suggestions? Thank you very much.

Checking the "Drawings" box will help in Print Layout view but will have no
effect in Normal view, which was the view you said you were using.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Nothing in the drawing layer (and that includes text boxes, drawings,

and
wrapped graphics) is displayed in Normal view. If you are unable to see
inline graphics in Normal view, you may have "Picture placeholders"

checked
on the View tab of Tools | Options.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.