Jackie D

Default Word backup files

Hi

I've just turned on the 'Always Create Backup Copy' function in Word 2000
and noticed that the date on the original file says July 1st but the backup
copy says June 24. Shouldn't the dates be the same?
--

Many thanks
JD

Jackie D

Graham

This is new to me so can I please ask a follow up question, or two?

So using your macro method you CAN save to a removable media? Or should the
save location be on the hard drive?

Does burning files in Nero to a CDR disc also risk file corruption?

Can you tell me how to create a new save icon as in your own example?

--

Many thanks
JD

Jackie D wrote:
Hi

I've just turned on the 'Always Create Backup Copy' function in Word
2000 and noticed that the date on the original file says July 1st but
the backup copy says June 24. Shouldn't the dates be the same?

Graham Mayor

Always save the backup to a hard drive location (this is highlighted in red
on the web page). You can copy the file to CDR for archival purposes later
(using Nero etc). It is the saving from Word that risks file corruption,
because of the way Word uses temporary files. Always work from the hard
drive. (You could use a removable -USB2 - hard drive without problem).

The icon was copied from the normal 'save' icon and recoloured using the
icon editing tools available from tools customize.

Jackie D wrote:
Hi

I've just turned on the 'Always Create Backup Copy' function in Word
2000 and noticed that the date on the original file says July 1st
but the backup copy says June 24. Shouldn't the dates be the same?

Jackie D

Sorry to hassle Graham but I'm having a little difficulty with the new icon.
I have copied the icon but I can't seem to paste it. Do I have to re-name it
or something? It would be useful to sit next to the original but I don'tknow
how to achieve this.

Also, At what stage in the macro creation do I link it to the new icon?

Thank you for you patience. This is all new territory for me...
--

Many thanks
JD

Jackie D wrote:
Hi

I've just turned on the 'Always Create Backup Copy' function in Word
2000 and noticed that the date on the original file says July 1st
but the backup copy says June 24. Shouldn't the dates be the same?

Jackie D

Success.. Graham, I sorted out my icon trouble. And I used your macro to save
to two locations. It appeared to go well but when I tried to save a document
(by selecting my new save button) I got a strange 'debug' error. When I tried
again, I got the following error message:

'The macro cannot be found or has been disabled because of your macro
security settings'

Would you know what is causing this?
--

Many thanks
JD

Jackie D wrote:
Hi

I've just turned on the 'Always Create Backup Copy' function in Word
2000 and noticed that the date on the original file says July 1st
but the backup copy says June 24. Shouldn't the dates be the same?

Graham Mayor

The debug error suggests that you have entered something incorrectly. Most
probably a premature line break - see

Set your macro security settings to Medium and to trust installed templates
and add-ins.

Jackie D wrote:
Hi

I've just turned on the 'Always Create Backup Copy' function in
Word 2000 and noticed that the date on the original file says
July 1st but the backup copy says June 24. Shouldn't the dates
be the same?

Jackie D

Hello Graham

I really hope this is the last time I need to call on your expertise. I am
so grateful for the time you've spent helping me with this.

I have changed the security settings as you suggest and there doesn't appear
to be a line break to correct, but I am stil getting the error message. So
now I am wondering if I am being totally stupid with the macro code (save to
two locations).

Am I supposed to modify the code before I paste it into the macro editor? I
changed the blue type to match the location and drive on my own pc. And I
deleted the line in green, which I guessed was an instruction and didn't
actually belong in the code. But am I supposed to rename any of the other
code lines? I've just been copying and pasting them into the macro editor.
For instance, the line that says 'Active.Document.FullName', should I be
changing this to reflect the actual document name?

I've been doing some of my own reading on the subject of macros but I can't
seem to find the answer.

--

Many thanks
JD

Jackie D wrote:
Hi

I've just turned on the 'Always Create Backup Copy' function in
Word 2000 and noticed that the date on the original file says
July 1st but the backup copy says June 24. Shouldn't the dates
be the same?

Graham Mayor

The macro should be saved in normal.dot (and not your document).
There is no need to remove the green lines - they are instructions but take
no part in the macro even if included.
The blue text, as you suggest, should reflect locations on your own PC. None
of the other lines should be changed.
Paste the code into the macro editor. The blue text will change to black.
The green will be a slightly different shade of green.
I have just copied the code directly from the web site and it works
correctly provided the defined alternative path exists.
If you have Norton AV - disable its office plug-in.

Jackie D wrote:
Hi

I've just turned on the 'Always Create Backup Copy' function in
Word 2000 and noticed that the date on the original file says
July 1st but the backup copy says June 24. Shouldn't the dates
be the same?

Jackie D

Success! Thank you Graham for all your help. I want to know more about macros
now so I shall do some research. By the way, my problem was the file path
name. I got it slightly wrong. It is now working superbly. I presume I only
need to save Word documents in this way? And that it is safe to save to
removeable media with other Microsoft files?

--

Many thanks
JD

Jackie D wrote:
Hi

I've just turned on the 'Always Create Backup Copy' function in
Word 2000 and noticed that the date on the original file says
July 1st but the backup copy says June 24. Shouldn't the dates
be the same?

Graham Mayor

It is always safer to save to hard drive and copy to removable media, but
most other applications do not have the temporary file issue that causes
document corruption when Word docs are managed from removable media.