Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Michael Michael is offline

Default Word 2007 opens an extra window when I double-click on document

Hello.

For some reason, Word is opening an extra Word window when I click on a
document to open it. Specifically: Word is not yet open at all, I click on a
Word document, and the document itself comes up but also another Word window.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions on this problem
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Patrick Schmid [MVP] Patrick Schmid [MVP] is offline

Is that other Word window usable? Like can you click on it and open a
document in it?

Patrick Schmid [OneNote MVP]
--------------
http://pschmid.net
***
Office 2007 RTM Issues: http://pschmid.net/blog/2006/11/13/80
***
Customize Office 2007: http://pschmid.net/office2007/customize
RibbonCustomizer Add-In: http://pschmid.net/office2007/ribboncustomizer
OneNote 2007: http://pschmid.net/office2007/onenote
***
Subscribe to my Office 2007 blog: http://pschmid.net/blog/feed

"Michael" wrote in message
:

Hello.

For some reason, Word is opening an extra Word window when I click on a
document to open it. Specifically: Word is not yet open at all, I click on a
Word document, and the document itself comes up but also another Word window.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions on this problem

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Michael Michael is offline

Default Word 2007 opens an extra window when I double-click on documen

Hello,

Yes, the other window is simply a blank page, but I could work inside it.

I normally have the Word window reduced in size a bit at the top (so I can
use a program called Trados, which needs its own window at the top of the
screen). When I click on a Word document, the blank window of Word comes up
with the proper sizing and position, the document comes up in a Word window
with the proper size but pushed upwards towards the top.

Strange behavior - I never had that with the prior versions of Word before
(and I've been using Word in various incarnations since Microsoft first came
out with it).

"Michael" wrote in message
:

Hello.

For some reason, Word is opening an extra Word window when I click on a
document to open it. Specifically: Word is not yet open at all, I click on a
Word document, and the document itself comes up but also another Word window.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions on this problem

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Patrick Schmid [MVP] Patrick Schmid [MVP] is offline

For testing purposes, can you find the file Normal.dotm and rename it to
something else while Word is closed and then try again?

Patrick Schmid [OneNote MVP]
--------------
http://pschmid.net
***

:

"Michael" wrote in message
:

Hello.

For some reason, Word is opening an extra Word window when I click on a
document to open it. Specifically: Word is not yet open at all, I click on a
Word document, and the document itself comes up but also another Word window.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions on this problem

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Michael Michael is offline

I found normal.dotm (in "Templates") and renamed it.

The same behavior persists, other than the fact that the windows now both
opened in the middle of the screen.

:

"Michael" wrote in message
:

Hello.

For some reason, Word is opening an extra Word window when I click on a
document to open it. Specifically: Word is not yet open at all, I click on a
Word document, and the document itself comes up but also another Word window.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions on this problem

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Michael Michael is offline

Added information:

I have Windows XP SP2 (German version) and Word 2007 (German version). I
also have Office 2003 installed, and Word 2007 is stand alone.

I noticed that normal.dot (for Word 2003) was in the German location for
templates ("Vorlagen"), but normal.dotm (for Word 2007) was in "templates" in
English.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Patrick Schmid [MVP] Patrick Schmid [MVP] is offline

When you open Word directly, this doesn't happen?
Does it happen when you switch off your virus scanner?

Patrick Schmid [OneNote MVP]
--------------
http://pschmid.net
***

:

:

"Michael" wrote in message
:

Hello.

For some reason, Word is opening an extra Word window when I click on a
document to open it. Specifically: Word is not yet open at all, I click on a
Word document, and the document itself comes up but also another Word window.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions on this problem

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Michael Michael is offline

This DOESN'T happen when I open Word directly (i.e. simply click on the Word
program symbol).

This does happen with my virus scanner (Norton) turned off (in other words:
the same thing happens as when it's turned on, no difference).

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Patrick Schmid [MVP] Patrick Schmid [MVP] is offline

If you right-click a file and pick Open out of the context menu, does it
happen then?

Patrick Schmid [OneNote MVP]
--------------
http://pschmid.net
***

"Michael" wrote in message
:

This DOESN'T happen when I open Word directly (i.e. simply click on the Word
program symbol).

This does happen with my virus scanner (Norton) turned off (in other words:
the same thing happens as when it's turned on, no difference).

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Beth Melton Beth Melton is offline

If you use Norton then in Norton Options, in the Miscellaneous section, turn
off Enable Office Plug-in. This isn't disabled if you turn Norton off.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Beth Melton
Microsoft Office MVP

Co-author of Word 2007 Inside Out:

Word FAQ: http://mvps.org/word
MVP FAQ site: http://mvps.org/

"Michael" wrote in message
This DOESN'T happen when I open Word directly (i.e. simply click on the
Word
program symbol).

This does happen with my virus scanner (Norton) turned off (in other
words:
the same thing happens as when it's turned on, no difference).

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Michael Michael is offline

Yes, it also happens when I right-click and then "open with" ...

I'm starting to think, though, that this problem may be associated with the
new version of Trados (2007) that I have integrated as an add-on. Otherwise,
I haven't really done anything to Word to make it behave this way (I just
bought it and installed it).

"Michael" wrote in message
:

This DOESN'T happen when I open Word directly (i.e. simply click on the Word
program symbol).

This does happen with my virus scanner (Norton) turned off (in other words:
the same thing happens as when it's turned on, no difference).

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Patrick Schmid [MVP] Patrick Schmid [MVP] is offline

What happens when you turn off this add-in?

Patrick Schmid [OneNote MVP]
http://pschmid.net
***

: