Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
HollyRG HollyRG is offline

Default Tables not printing correctly to pdf

When I print the document from Word, it looks perfect. When I print it
to pdf (Adobe), random lines from the table borders disappear. If I
print the pdf to paper, it looks perfect again. Depending on what % I
view it at, and whether I am viewing it in Adobe Professional 7.0 or
Adobe Reader 8.0, different lines will be visible or not visible. My
co-worker copied the text into a new document and recreated the tables
from scratch, and it looks a little better, but is still doing the same
thing (just not as much). Any advice on how to fix this? I need to be
able to email important reports that will be viewed on the computer, so
we need to send a pdf. (Sending a Word document won't work, because then
they will be able to make changes.)

--
HollyRG
Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables

Hi Hilly

HollyRG wrote:
When I print the document from Word, it looks perfect. When I print it
to pdf (Adobe), random lines from the table borders disappear. If I
print the pdf to paper, it looks perfect again. Depending on what % I
view it at, and whether I am viewing it in Adobe Professional 7.0 or
Adobe Reader 8.0, different lines will be visible or not visible. My
co-worker copied the text into a new document and recreated the tables
from scratch, and it looks a little better, but is still doing the same
thing (just not as much). Any advice on how to fix this? I need to be
able to email important reports that will be viewed on the computer, so
we need to send a pdf. (Sending a Word document won't work, because then
they will be able to make changes.)

If it's really only the view of the PDF, then there's not much you can
do in the first place. [Normally, you don't even know what PDF viewer
your recipient is using, so optimizing in that direction is pretty tough
....]

You can try using a standard line weight which is pretty solid (I would
try 0.5 or even 1.0 pt size for a start) for all lines (also inner table
lines), to see whether this makes a difference.

HTH
Robert
--
/"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign | MS
\ / | MVP
Donna from Florida Donna from Florida is offline
Junior Member

Smile

I also had a table that had disappearing lines when I made a PDF from an MS Word 2007 document. The lines would appear or disappear depending on the zoom level using for viewing the PDF.

I was able to resolve this problem by creating a new table using Table - Insert Table and dragging to select the number of rows and columns that were used in the original table. I then copied the text from the original table and deleted the original table. The fresh table shows up properly in the PDF at various zoom levels.