Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
hotmilne hotmilne is offline

Default How do I alphabetically sort a manually numbred list?? eg...

I didn't generate my numbered list by inserting numbers. I added the numbers
'manually'.
eg.
1. Georgia
2. Yesterdays
3. All of Me

I want this list to read

3. All of Me
1. Georgia
2. Yesterdays

Please tell me how to do this. I have 300 tunes in my repertoire and can be
stuck for hours as the list changes frequently according to the next gig.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

You could temporarily make it into a table (come to think of it, you
could leave it in table format): assuming none of the song titles have
a complete sentence inside them,

Find ". " (without the quotes -- that's period space) and Replace
With .^t (period caret tee) (that puts a tab after each number)

Select all 300 paragraphs (they are each a separate paragraph, right?)
and in the Tables menu (or portion of the ribbon), choose Convert Text
to Table. Tell it 2 columns, with the separator being Tab.

Now select the second column of the table (hover your cursor just
above it until it turns into a fat down-pointing arrow, and click),
and select Sort.

(If you remove all the table cell borders, you won't even know it's a
table. And if you make the first column right-aligned paragraphs, all
the numbers will line up on the periods.)