RuffHouse

Default Others viewing Markups

I have Windows XP and use Word 2003. I have found the settings to remove MY
markups in the Security Tab. However when I save my document and send it to
people that either have Word 2003 or any older version, they still see the
markups. This is totally unacceptable when dealing with our customers or
partners since they can pretty much see the markups and the changes since we
work from templates of our documents. Is there something else that I need to
do or is this a MS Word 2003 bug?
tjtjjtjt

I don't see an option to remove your markups on the Security Tab. You can
remove your personal information as it is stored in the File |
Properties--but this has nothing to do with the Markups. To remove the mark
up, you'll need to accept or reject the changes before sending it to the
other person.

tj

"RuffHouse" wrote:

I have Windows XP and use Word 2003. I have found the settings to remove MY
markups in the Security Tab. However when I save my document and send it to
people that either have Word 2003 or any older version, they still see the
markups. This is totally unacceptable when dealing with our customers or
partners since they can pretty much see the markups and the changes since we
work from templates of our documents. Is there something else that I need to
do or is this a MS Word 2003 bug?

RuffHouse

You have to go to Tools, then Options, then Security and you need to Uncheck
box "Make hidden markup visible when opening or saving." This is only in MS
Word 2003 not any older versions. After I do this and save a clean version of
my document, the recipent still sees the markup. They need to do the same
steps I just mention or if they have an older version they need to go to the
Track Changes and change their settings. The recipents should have to do
this....the default for this application should not allow people to see mark
ups automatically. I think this is a bug and MS needs to fix this unless
somebody has a solution to share.

Thanks,
RS

"RuffHouse" wrote:

I have Windows XP and use Word 2003. I have found the settings to remove MY
markups in the Security Tab. However when I save my document and send it to
people that either have Word 2003 or any older version, they still see the
markups. This is totally unacceptable when dealing with our customers or
partners since they can pretty much see the markups and the changes since we
work from templates of our documents. Is there something else that I need to
do or is this a MS Word 2003 bug?

tjtjjtjt

As you are experienceing, unchecking that box doesn't remove the Markup. It
just hides it from view on computers where that option has been disabled. If
you don't want other people to see your markup, you will have to Accept and
Reject the Changes in the document.

This is not a bug--it's done this way on purpose.

Here's a previous thread that may explain some of it:
http://www.microsoft.com/office/comm...9-47855277c5e7

tj

"RuffHouse" wrote:

I have Windows XP and use Word 2003. I have found the settings to remove MY
markups in the Security Tab. However when I save my document and send it to
people that either have Word 2003 or any older version, they still see the
markups. This is totally unacceptable when dealing with our customers or
partners since they can pretty much see the markups and the changes since we
work from templates of our documents. Is there something else that I need to
do or is this a MS Word 2003 bug?

The reason this option is on the Security tab is that it is intended to
prevent just such embarrassment as you are experiencing. You are actually
disabling this fail-safe option, which is intended to alert you to the fact
that tracked changes or comments are present in the document so that you can
remove them before sending the document out. You do this by choosing "Accept
All Changes in Document" on the Accept Change menu and "Delete All Comments
in Document" on the Reject Change/Delete Comment menu. In almost every
case,* the settings you choose in Tools | Options apply to your own computer
only and are not saved in the document. The way the document is viewed on
another computer will depend on the Options settings on that computer.

*Exceptions (settings that are saved in the document) include "Hide
spelling/grammatical errors in this document" (Spelling & Grammar tab),
"Print data only for forms" (Print tab), and certain settings on the Save
tab (such as embedding fonts and linguistic data).

"RuffHouse" wrote:

I have Windows XP and use Word 2003. I have found the settings to

remove MY
markups in the Security Tab. However when I save my document and send

it to
people that either have Word 2003 or any older version, they still see

the
markups. This is totally unacceptable when dealing with our customers

or
partners since they can pretty much see the markups and the changes

since we
work from templates of our documents. Is there something else that I

need to
do or is this a MS Word 2003 bug?

Beth Melton

The default for the application *is* to not show revisions made to a
document. When you create a document and save it your modifications
are not saved. The only way revisions are included is if you turn on
Track Changes.

When you turn off the Security option, "Make hidden markup visible
when opening or saving:, you are not saving a "clean" version of the
document. All you are doing is suppressing Tracked Changes from your
own personal view.

All of your revisions are still present in the document. The only way
to save a "clean" version of your document is:
- Turn off Track Changes
- Go to View/Toolbars/Reviewing
- Click the arrow "Accept Changes" command
- Select "Accept All Changes in Document"

It's only after you perform the above Tracked Changes are no longer
saved in the document so if you email it others will not be able to
see your revisions regardless of their view settings.

Beth Melton
Microsoft Office MVP

Word FAQ: http://mvps.org/word
MVP FAQ site: http://mvps.org/