Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jan14 Jan14 is offline

Default Can I run two version of MS Word/Office at the same time?

I have been using Office 2003 for several years and updated to Office
Ultimate 2007. I still need some of the functions that Office 2003 used for
my 30 students who are still using the older version. Question: Can I run
them both at the same on both MAC OS and Windows OS?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
p0 p0 is offline

On 6 dec, 19:41, Jan14 wrote:
I have been using Office 2003 for several years and updated to Office
Ultimate 2007. *I still need some of the functions that Office 2003 used for
my 30 students who are still using the older version. *Question: Can I run
them both at the same on both MAC OS and Windows OS?

On Windows you can run Office 2003 and 2007 next to each other. There
can only be one version of Outlook on your system though.

I can't say if the same holds for Mac OS.

Yves
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
CyberTaz CyberTaz is offline

Your question is not very clear... Neither Office 2003 nor Office 2007 will
run on the Macintosh OS X operating system. Those versions are Windows OS
only, so I don't understand where Mac comes into the equation. The documents
created by the various versions of Office can be transported from one OS to
the other, although there are some considerations in order to do so with a
minimum amount of disturbance to the documents. Those considerations,
however, aren't really anything new or extraordinary with few - primarily
graphics related - exceptions.

That being said, you can use Mac OS X Boot Camp to create a Windows
partition & boot the Mac (Intel Only) as a Windows PC, in which case you can
run Windows software.

Alternatively you can install one of various Windows emulator applications
(Parallels, VMWare Fusion, CrossOver) to install Window & Windows software
as a virtual machine. This allows running Window & Mac OS X "side-by-side" &
switching back & forth between Mac OS & the VM, which Boot Camp doesn't do -
you boot into one OS & need to reboot in order to use the other.

Either way, however, you're bound by the EULA for any installation of
Windows as well as the PC software you use. IOW, you legally can't install
the same copy of Windows on a PC & a Mac any more than you can install the
same copy on 2 separate PCs unless you purchase a multi-license package.

Out of curiosity, what "functions" do you need from Office 2003 that aren't
provided in 2007?

HTH |:)
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac

On 12/6/08 1:41 PM, in article
, "Jan14"
wrote:

I have been using Office 2003 for several years and updated to Office
Ultimate 2007. I still need some of the functions that Office 2003 used for
my 30 students who are still using the older version. Question: Can I run
them both at the same on both MAC OS and Windows OS?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

I am currently running both Office 2003 and Office 2007 on my PC and on my
laptop. I knew I would need to do that (client requirements) and need to
keep two licenses, so I purchased Office 2007 instead of upgrading Office
2003. So the "technical" answer to your question as regards PCs is yes you
can have two, or more, versions of Office installed on a single PC (except
for Outlook). I have even (quite accidentally) had two version of Word
running at once with no ill effects.

PamC

Jan14 wrote:
I have been using Office 2003 for several years and updated to Office
Ultimate 2007. I still need some of the functions that Office 2003 used for
my 30 students who are still using the older version. Question: Can I run
them both at the same on both MAC OS and Windows OS?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

As stated in the quoted message, you can run Office 2003 and Office 2007 on the
same computer, but note that you can only have one version of Outlook. See also
the "Hacking the Registry" section of the article at
http://www.gmayor.com/Toolbars_in_word_2007.htm.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Lisabob" wrote in message

"p0" wrote:

On 6 dec, 19:41, Jan14 wrote:
I have been using Office 2003 for several years and updated to Office
Ultimate 2007. I still need some of the functions that Office 2003 used
for
my 30 students who are still using the older version. Question: Can I run
them both at the same on both MAC OS and Windows OS?

On Windows you can run Office 2003 and 2007 next to each other. There
can only be one version of Outlook on your system though.

I can't say if the same holds for Mac OS.

Yves

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Although Outlook 2007 is clearly better than Outlook 2003, if you are
installing the trial version of Office 2007, may I suggest that you retain
Outlook 2003 - at least until you decide to buy the application, as
restoring Outlook 2003 should you change your mind about Office 2007 is a
pain. If you are installing the retail version of Office 2007, install
Outlook 2007 in place of Outlook 2003.

"Lisabob" wrote in message

"p0" wrote:

On 6 dec, 19:41, Jan14 wrote:
I have been using Office 2003 for several years and updated to Office
Ultimate 2007. I still need some of the functions that Office 2003
used for
my 30 students who are still using the older version. Question: Can I
run
them both at the same on both MAC OS and Windows OS?

On Windows you can run Office 2003 and 2007 next to each other. There
can only be one version of Outlook on your system though.

I can't say if the same holds for Mac OS.

Yves

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

FWIW, I had Outlook 2003 installed with Office 2003, but I never actually used
it.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Lisabob" wrote in message

"p0" wrote:

On 6 dec, 19:41, Jan14 wrote:
I have been using Office 2003 for several years and updated to Office
Ultimate 2007. I still need some of the functions that Office 2003 used
for
my 30 students who are still using the older version. Question: Can I
run
them both at the same on both MAC OS and Windows OS?

On Windows you can run Office 2003 and 2007 next to each other. There
can only be one version of Outlook on your system though.

I can't say if the same holds for Mac OS.

Yves

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

My whole life is organised with Outlook. It is a valuable adjunct to a
memory that is fast fading with age. I would be lost without it. It also
does e-mail