Cindy W.

Default Numbered lists does not format automatically

I seem to have the opposite problem as some of you. I can't seem to get my
automatic numbering to work. I have to type a numbered list and then click on
the numbering icon on my toolbar to apply the formatting for the numbered
list. I used to only need to type: "1. xyz" then hit my return key and it
would automatically format this first line and format the next line just like
it. Now, no matter what I have selected, I can't get this to automatically
format the numbered lists the way it used to. Word is ignoring my
customizations and selections in many cases besides this. I have just
recently had MS Office 2003 Professional loaded on my computer from our IT
folks.
Cougar548

I have had two friends come to me because of the same problem. One work
around I've found is to use the Outlining toolbar. But it still bugs me that
the tab button no longer works!

"Cindy W." wrote:

I seem to have the opposite problem as some of you. I can't seem to get my
automatic numbering to work. I have to type a numbered list and then click on
the numbering icon on my toolbar to apply the formatting for the numbered
list. I used to only need to type: "1. xyz" then hit my return key and it
would automatically format this first line and format the next line just like
it. Now, no matter what I have selected, I can't get this to automatically
format the numbered lists the way it used to. Word is ignoring my
customizations and selections in many cases besides this. I have just
recently had MS Office 2003 Professional loaded on my computer from our IT
folks.

Stefan Blom

For Word 2000 and earlier: Tools Options, Edit tab: "Tabs and
backspace set left indent."

For Word 2002 and later: Tools AutoCorrect, AutoFormat As You Type
tab: "Set first and left indent with tabs and backspaces."

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Cindy W." wrote:

[...]

Stefan Blom

Choose ToolsAutoCorrect. Click the AutoFormat As You Type tab. Check
"Automatic bulleted lists" and "Automatic numbered lists" and click
OK. Note, however, that you would be better off setting up numbering
via styles. See
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/numb...Numbering.html and
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/bull...olbullets.html

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Cindy W." wrote in message
[...]

Cindy W.

Thanks very much. I already have those options selected and it still doesn't
auto format the numbered list like before. I did go in to formatting bullets
and numbering and found the formatting that I always use to already be there,
however, it keeps defaulting to "None" for the numbering style. I even went
into the list of styles and made sure the settings for the numbering list is
what I want. I will check the links you sent and see if there is anything
else I can try. Thanks again!

"Cindy W." wrote in message
[...]

Stefan Blom

Since I don't use AutoFormat to number paragraphs, I don't know what
causes the problem. Have you tried to click the Reset button to
restore each of the presets in the Bullets and Numbering dialog box?

Anyway, it would be a lot easier to just apply the List Number style
if you want a single-level numbered list. If necessary, you can change
its settings from the Modify Style dialog box (see
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/styl...ifyAStyle.html); click
FormatNumbering and make your changes (including indents).

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Cindy W." wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
JGeddings JGeddings is offline

Cindy,

I seem to be having a similar problem. Although, I did use the Shauna Kelly
website to setup everything properly. Things worked great the first few
hours and then for seemingly no reason at all, I press 'enter' and it doesn't
pop up the next number. I have no idea what's causing this. I tried all of
the fixes suggested to you and they did not work for me, either. I just
thought you'd want to know you're not alone. If anyone gives you a
suggestion that works, I'll gladly give it a shot, too.

Wrong numbers in numbered lists SAn Microsoft Word Help 7 September 15th 05 06:44 PM
Numbered Lists Mary Lee Page Layout 5 August 12th 05 04:08 PM
Numbered Lists Anna Summers Microsoft Word Help 9 July 4th 05 06:06 AM
bullets and numbered lists apply to ALL styles Mark at Icom Microsoft Word Help 3 May 26th 05 01:17 PM
restart numbered lists in master documents usergal Microsoft Word Help 1 February 23rd 05 02:27 PM