Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Joyce Joyce is offline

Default aligning text in a column

I have a table with a column that contains ranges of numbers. For example,
4-5, 7.25-10, 0.5-16.3, etc.
I want to align them on the - (dash). Is there a way to do this? By the way,
I can't alter the numbers so that they all have a decimal point and
leading/following zeros.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Luc Luc is offline

Joyce,
I am by no means an expert in Word. But have you tried putting two tabs in
the cell, for instance two right aligning tabs. Put them very close to one
another, you will have to use the menu to put the second close to the first
(for instance 3.02, 3.06). Everything before the dash must be aligned to the
first tab, the rest to the second. Use Ctrl+Tab to type in the numbers. The
first ctrl+Tab will let you type the number(s) before the dash, the second
ctrl+tab will allow you to type the dash and the remaining numbers. Seems to
work here. That said, maybe someone else will have better ideas.

--

Luc Sanders
MVP - PowerPoint

"Joyce" schreef in bericht
news
I have a table with a column that contains ranges of numbers. For example,
4-5, 7.25-10, 0.5-16.3, etc.
I want to align them on the - (dash). Is there a way to do this? By the
way,
I can't alter the numbers so that they all have a decimal point and
leading/following zeros.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Joyce Joyce is offline

"Joyce" wrote:

I have a table with a column that contains ranges of numbers. For example,
4-5, 7.25-10, 0.5-16.3, etc.
I want to align them on the - (dash). Is there a way to do this? By the way,
I can't alter the numbers so that they all have a decimal point and
leading/following zeros.

You were close. What seems to work is to have the first tab be a right tab
(with the tab inserted before the text in the column), and the second tab be
a left tab (with the tab inserted before the dash).

Setting it was a bit awkward because Word would only let me set the tabs
within 3/10s of each other, no closer. But it works. Thanks.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables

Set a hyphen as the Decimal Separator in the Regional and Language Options
item in the Control Panel

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"Joyce" wrote in message

"Joyce" wrote:

I have a table with a column that contains ranges of numbers. For
example,
4-5, 7.25-10, 0.5-16.3, etc.
I want to align them on the - (dash). Is there a way to do this? By the
way,
I can't alter the numbers so that they all have a decimal point and
leading/following zeros.

You were close. What seems to work is to have the first tab be a right tab
(with the tab inserted before the text in the column), and the second tab
be
a left tab (with the tab inserted before the dash).

Setting it was a bit awkward because Word would only let me set the tabs
within 3/10s of each other, no closer. But it works. Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Joyce Joyce is offline

I have two concerns about doing this, and would appreciate your input.
1. I edit documents in many languages. Does your suggestion have an impact
on the default language on my computer, or just when a particular language is
assigned to the document?
2. Some tables use the conventional decimal separator for that language.
Would setting it to a hyphen screw those columns up?