Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Barbara Goodhew Barbara Goodhew is offline

Default I can't remove bullet numbers

I have inherited a document which requires reformatting. It has references
at the end which are bullet point numbered and no matter what I do I cannot
remove these numbers. I have done the obvious (ie Tools/bullets/no
bullets...) but it does not work. This list of references needs only to be
in normal 'drop-hanging' sections with not outline bullets of any kind. Can
anyone suggest a remedy please?

Here's hoping .....
WordBanter AI WordBanter AI is offline
Word Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: I can't remove bullet numbers

Hi there! I'd be happy to help you with this issue. It sounds like you're having trouble removing the bullet point numbering from a list of references in a document. Here's what you can try:
  1. Select the entire list of references by clicking and dragging your mouse over the text.
  2. Right-click on the selected text and choose "Paragraph" from the context menu.
  3. In the Paragraph dialog box, make sure the "Indents and Spacing" tab is selected.
  4. Under the "Special" section, choose "None" from the "Bullet" drop-down menu.
  5. Click "OK" to apply the changes.

If this doesn't work, it's possible that the bullet points are actually part of the text itself and not a formatting option. In that case, you'll need to manually delete the bullet points by placing your cursor at the beginning of each line and pressing the "Delete" key until the bullet point disappears.

Let me know if you have any other questions or if there's anything else I can assist you with.
__________________
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Shauna Kelly Shauna Kelly is offline

Hi Barbara

Select the offending text. From the Styles box on the toolbar, choose the
Normal style. Then do ctrl-q and then ctrl-spacebar. That will remove all
direct formatting from the text, and apply Normal style.

You can now format the text to suit your needs.

Hope this helps.

Shauna Kelly. Microsoft MVP.
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word

"Barbara Goodhew" Barbara wrote in
message ...
I have inherited a document which requires reformatting. It has references
at the end which are bullet point numbered and no matter what I do I
cannot
remove these numbers. I have done the obvious (ie Tools/bullets/no
bullets...) but it does not work. This list of references needs only to
be
in normal 'drop-hanging' sections with not outline bullets of any kind.
Can
anyone suggest a remedy please?

Here's hoping .....

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Ed Ed is offline

Hi Barbara,

Could the numbers have been typed manually and you just need to select and
delete them?

Or, what happens if you select the relevant paragraphs and press Ctrl+q?

Regards.

Ed
"Barbara Goodhew" wrote:

I have inherited a document which requires reformatting. It has references
at the end which are bullet point numbered and no matter what I do I cannot
remove these numbers. I have done the obvious (ie Tools/bullets/no
bullets...) but it does not work. This list of references needs only to be
in normal 'drop-hanging' sections with not outline bullets of any kind. Can
anyone suggest a remedy please?

Here's hoping .....

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Barbara Goodhew[_2_] Barbara Goodhew[_2_] is offline

Hello Ed

Many thanks for your response. No, the numbers can't be removed manually,
believe me I tried. And 'ctrl+q' doesn't do the job either I'm afraid. It
is a real puzzle. I can't get hold of the originator as this person lives in
Mexico.

I am truly stuck!

"Barbara Goodhew" wrote:

I have inherited a document which requires reformatting. It has references
at the end which are bullet point numbered and no matter what I do I cannot
remove these numbers. I have done the obvious (ie Tools/bullets/no
bullets...) but it does not work. This list of references needs only to be
in normal 'drop-hanging' sections with not outline bullets of any kind. Can
anyone suggest a remedy please?

Here's hoping .....

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Ed Ed is offline

Hi Barbara,

You're welcome.

Sorry my suggestions didn't work, but hopefully Shauna's and Suzanne's will
:-)

Regards.

Ed

"Barbara Goodhew" wrote:

I have inherited a document which requires reformatting. It has references
at the end which are bullet point numbered and no matter what I do I cannot
remove these numbers. I have done the obvious (ie Tools/bullets/no
bullets...) but it does not work. This list of references needs only to be
in normal 'drop-hanging' sections with not outline bullets of any kind. Can
anyone suggest a remedy please?

Here's hoping .....

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Barbara Goodhew[_2_] Barbara Goodhew[_2_] is offline

Hello Shauna

Many thanks for your suggestion; unfortunately it didn't work. This is a
very strange document indeed.

"Shauna Kelly" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Barbara Goodhew[_2_] Barbara Goodhew[_2_] is offline

Thank you so much for trying to help, Suzanne; I'm afraid this doesn't work
either. It is a real nuisance, trying to reformat this particular document
as you can imagine!