Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Itinerantscholar Itinerantscholar is offline

Default Word "cannot find" a file even though I am clicking on it

Often when I open up a folder and click on a file, Word will hang for a
minute or two. The blue ring will go around and around. Then I get this
message:

"Windows cannot find 'C:\\Users\[My first name]\Documents\[File name].doc'
Make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again."

I just clicked on the file, so why can't Windows find it?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
JoAnn Paules JoAnn Paules is offline

Are you sure it's a file and not just a link to a file that's no longer
there?

--
JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

~~~~~
How to ask a question
http://support.microsoft.com/KB/555375

"Itinerantscholar" wrote in
message ...
Often when I open up a folder and click on a file, Word will hang for a
minute or two. The blue ring will go around and around. Then I get this
message:

"Windows cannot find 'C:\\Users\[My first name]\Documents\[File name].doc'
Make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again."

I just clicked on the file, so why can't Windows find it?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

Unless you have Norton Anti Virus, try reregistering Word. From Start, Run
type in

winword /r

and press enter. Test again.

--
Terry Farrell - MS Word MVP

"Itinerantscholar" wrote in
message ...
Often when I open up a folder and click on a file, Word will hang for a
minute or two. The blue ring will go around and around. Then I get this
message:

"Windows cannot find 'C:\\Users\[My first name]\Documents\[File name].doc'
Make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again."

I just clicked on the file, so why can't Windows find it?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Itinerantscholar Itinerantscholar is offline

The file is definitely there! After I get the "Windows cannot find" message,
I click "OK," then click on the file again and then that second time the file
opens. But this means it often takes me several minutes to get the file
open, and I shouldn't have to ask twice anyway.

But I DO have Norton Anti Virus! What then?

"Terry Farrell" wrote:

Unless you have Norton Anti Virus, try reregistering Word. From Start, Run
type in

winword /r

and press enter. Test again.

--
Terry Farrell - MS Word MVP

"Itinerantscholar" wrote in
message ...
Often when I open up a folder and click on a file, Word will hang for a
minute or two. The blue ring will go around and around. Then I get this
message:

"Windows cannot find 'C:\\Users\[My first name]\Documents\[File name].doc'
Make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again."

I just clicked on the file, so why can't Windows find it?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Itinerantscholar Itinerantscholar is offline

This does seem to have solved the problem. I wasn't able to find "Options"
or "Office Plugin" on my own, though. I contacted Symantec and a tech
support person in southern India was able to locate the problem and fix it by
remote control.

"Terry Farrell" wrote:

Unless you have Norton Anti Virus, try reregistering Word. From Start,
Run
type in

winword /r

and press enter. Test again.

--
Terry Farrell - MS Word MVP

"Itinerantscholar" wrote in
message ...
Often when I open up a folder and click on a file, Word will hang for a
minute or two. The blue ring will go around and around. Then I get
this
message:

"Windows cannot find 'C:\\Users\[My first name]\Documents\[File
name].doc'
Make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again."

I just clicked on the file, so why can't Windows find it?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Earl R Earl R is offline

I am have the same problem. About a third of the time, when I click on a file
to open it, Word responds with a Word closed unexpectedly warning and then
tells me it cannot find the file --even though I started this by clicking on
the file. I tried the register command described earlier but it had no
effect. I am using McAfee for virus protection not Norton.

"Terry Farrell" wrote:

Unless you have Norton Anti Virus, try reregistering Word. From Start,
Run
type in

winword /r

and press enter. Test again.

--
Terry Farrell - MS Word MVP

"Itinerantscholar" wrote in
message ...
Often when I open up a folder and click on a file, Word will hang for a
minute or two. The blue ring will go around and around. Then I get
this
message:

"Windows cannot find 'C:\\Users\[My first name]\Documents\[File
name].doc'
Make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again."

I just clicked on the file, so why can't Windows find it?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Just wondering Just wondering is offline

"Itinerantscholar" wrote:

Often when I open up a folder and click on a file, Word will hang for a
minute or two. The blue ring will go around and around. Then I get this
message:

"Windows cannot find 'C:\\Users\[My first name]\Documents\[File name].doc'
Make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again."

I just clicked on the file, so why can't Windows find it?

In Word 2007 - this seems to be the way it tells me that the file is in use
by someone else.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

Is it just one file or any file you try to open?

--
Terry Farrell - MSWord MVP

"Just wondering" wrote in message

"Itinerantscholar" wrote:

Often when I open up a folder and click on a file, Word will hang for a
minute or two. The blue ring will go around and around. Then I get this
message:

"Windows cannot find 'C:\\Users\[My first name]\Documents\[File
name].doc'
Make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again."

I just clicked on the file, so why can't Windows find it?

In Word 2007 - this seems to be the way it tells me that the file is in
use
by someone else.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Earl R Earl R is offline

It is not just one file. It is many files. I stopped it from occuring by
eliminating several "add-in" programs. I think the Omnipage Add-ins are the
most suspicious.

Earl

"Itinerantscholar" wrote:

Often when I open up a folder and click on a file, Word will hang for a
minute or two. The blue ring will go around and around. Then I get this
message:

"Windows cannot find 'C:\\Users\[My first name]\Documents\[File
name].doc'
Make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again."

I just clicked on the file, so why can't Windows find it?

In Word 2007 - this seems to be the way it tells me that the file is in
use
by someone else.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

Yes. Omnipage has been troublesome. They may have an update that is fully
compatible with 2007.

Terry

"Itinerantscholar" wrote:

Often when I open up a folder and click on a file, Word will hang for
minute or two. The blue ring will go around and around. Then I get
this
message:

"Windows cannot find 'C:\\Users\[My first name]\Documents\[File
name].doc'
Make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again."

I just clicked on the file, so why can't Windows find it?

In Word 2007 - this seems to be the way it tells me that the file is in
use
by someone else.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Jodi[_2_] Jodi[_2_] is offline

I am getting the same problem and I do not know where to look for the
Add-in's. Can you point me to the right direction so I can resolve this
problem too. It does it when it is an email file attachment for me.
--
Jodi
Admin Assistant