Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
robr robr is offline

Default Word 2007 Multilevel list - This list name is already being used. Please choose another one.

So I've set up my numbering using a multilevel list and linking them
to header styles. This is the first time I've done this but had to
after thoroughly messing up my document numbering.

Now I need to set up a style for the Appendix. I click on multilevel,
select define new multilevel list (I really just want to edit my
current one but don't see that option), I set my appendix settings
using level 7, link it to style 7, try to save it and am told "This
list name is already being used. Please choose another one".

So... I guess my question is really, how do I edit the list I'm
actually currently using, rather than having to create a new one?

Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Dawn Crosier, Word MVP Dawn Crosier, Word MVP is offline

When you click the down arrow next to MultiLevel list - you will select
"Define New MultiLevel List" both to create the list in the first place AND
to edit the existing list. I found it very confusing myself... And to make
sure that I am defining the existing list, I would make sure that I am in a
style that uses the list.

You should find that the first 6 levels that you previously defined are
already setup, so that you can add the additional level to the style.

Hope that helps.

--
Dawn Crosier
Microsoft MVP

This message was posted to a newsgroup, Please post replies and questions
to the group so that others can learn as well.
"robr" wrote in message
oups.com...
So I've set up my numbering using a multilevel list and linking them
to header styles. This is the first time I've done this but had to
after thoroughly messing up my document numbering.

Now I need to set up a style for the Appendix. I click on multilevel,
select define new multilevel list (I really just want to edit my
current one but don't see that option), I set my appendix settings
using level 7, link it to style 7, try to save it and am told "This
list name is already being used. Please choose another one".

So... I guess my question is really, how do I edit the list I'm
actually currently using, rather than having to create a new one?

Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
robr robr is offline

Thank you Dawn, got it, yeah... not very intuitive . I wish you
could reference lists using the names you saved them as as well.
Any ideas on my Table of contents appendix indentation problem I
posted about elsewhere?

On Jun 29, 12:59 pm, "Dawn Crosier, Word MVP"
wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Dawn Crosier, Word MVP Dawn Crosier, Word MVP is offline

Did you include it in a List? If so, then I suspect that the list indention
is overriding your style indention, so check both out and make sure that
they are "synchronized".

--
Dawn Crosier
Microsoft MVP
"Education Lasts a Lifetime"

This message was posted to a newsgroup, Please post replies and questions
to the group so that others can learn as well.
oups.com...

wrote:
When you click the down arrow next to MultiLevel list - you will select
"Define New MultiLevel List" both to create the list in the first place
AND
to edit the existing list. I found it very confusing myself... And to make
sure that I am defining the existing list, I would make sure that I am in
style that uses the list.

You should find that the first 6 levels that you previously defined are
already setup, so that you can add the additional level to the style.

Hope that helps.

--
Dawn Crosier
Microsoft MVP
"Education Lasts a Lifetime"

This message was posted to a newsgroup, Please post replies and questions
to the group so that others can learn as well."robr"

oups.com...