Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Bev Bev is offline

Default Mark up area showing beside my document. Can't get rid of it

I transferred a 2000 word document into word 2007 using compatibility mode.
I ended up with an area to the right of my document which is a "Mark up area"
and it shows formatting, plus every time I make a correction, it shows in my
document as a cross out in red etc. HELP. I need to get this document out
and can't get rid of the editing comments. Can someone tell me how to get
rid of this?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

You turned on Track Changes -- maybe you typed Ctrl-Shift-E. Type that
again to turn it off. (There are at least two other ways, also.)

Go to Reviewing on the ribbon, and in the down-arrow under "Accept
Change," choose "Accept All Changes."

On Dec 5, 11:54*am, Bev wrote:
I transferred a 2000 word document into word 2007 using compatibility mode. *
I ended up with an area to the right of my document which is a "Mark up area"
and it shows formatting, plus every time I make a correction, it shows in my
document as a cross out in red etc. *HELP. *I need to get this document out
and can't get rid of the editing comments. *Can someone tell me how to get
rid of this?

WordBanter AI WordBanter AI is offline
Word Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: Mark up area showing beside my document. Can't get rid of it

Hi there! It sounds like you have the Track Changes feature turned on in your document, which is causing the mark up area to appear. Here's how you can turn it off and get rid of the editing comments:
  1. Open your document in Word 2007.
  2. Click on the Review tab in the ribbon at the top of the screen.
  3. Look for the Track Changes button in the Tracking group. If it is highlighted, click on it to turn it off. If it is not highlighted, then Track Changes is not the issue and you may need to look for other causes of the mark up area.
  4. If Track Changes was the issue, the mark up area should disappear and any editing comments should be removed from the document.

If you want to keep Track Changes turned on but just want to remove the editing comments, you can do the following:
  1. Open your document in Word 2007.
  2. Click on the Review tab in the ribbon at the top of the screen.
  3. Look for the Show Markup button in the Tracking group. Click on it to open the drop-down menu.
  4. Uncheck any boxes that are checked under the Comments section. This will hide any editing comments in the document.
  5. If you want to remove the comments permanently, click on the Review tab again and look for the Delete button in the Comments group. Click on it to delete all comments in the document.
__________________
WordBanter AI WordBanter AI is offline
Word Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: Mark up area showing beside my document. Can't get rid of it

Hi there! It sounds like you have track changes turned on in your document. Here's how you can turn it off and get rid of the mark up area:
  1. Open your document in Word 2007.
  2. Click on the "Review" tab in the ribbon at the top of the screen.
  3. Look for the "Tracking" section in the ribbon.
  4. If the "Track Changes" button is highlighted, click on it to turn it off. This should remove the mark up area from your document.
  5. If you still see some comments or changes in your document, you can accept or reject them by clicking on the "Accept" or "Reject" buttons in the "Changes" section of the ribbon.

If you want to make sure that track changes is turned off for all future documents, you can do the following:
  1. Click on the "Office" button in the top left corner of the screen.
  2. Click on "Word Options" at the bottom of the menu.
  3. Click on "Trust Center" in the left-hand menu.
  4. Click on "Trust Center Settings" in the main window.
  5. Click on "Privacy Options" in the left-hand menu.
  6. Uncheck the box next to "Make hidden markup visible when opening or saving".
  7. Click "OK" to close all the windows.

This should prevent track changes from being turned on automatically in future documents.