Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Christina Christina is offline

Default Boxes in endnotes and lost embedded objects

I was working on a Word file yesterday and was almost done. I selected
the endnotes section to format them all the same (font size and none under
the indentation). When I tried to save it, The file seemingly shorted out,
and Word then froze. The restored version that I was able to open appeared
with three strange things:

1. The embedded PowerPoint slides show a field that contains text such as:
EMBED PowerPoint.Slide.8. When I right click and select object, I get the
message "This object is corrupt or is no longer available."

2. The page numbers appear with a box PAGE another box the page number and
another box; BOX PAGE BOX 23 BOX.

3. The endnotes all have boxes where they should be in the document and if
you hover over them, they still are attached to the right end notes, but you
don't see a number, just what appears to be an empty box. In the end notes
section, you see the same empty boxes in front of each listed end note, where
the number should be.

I think the PPT objects need to be re-inserted, but what about the end
notes? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Christina Christina is offline

Yep. I also just realized that the "boxes" open up in what appears to be a
different font on differnt machines. Like one computer they look just
square, another they look like 3D square. Don't think this helps but thought
it strange.

"Christina" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Christina Christina is offline

If you wou would like a sample of the doc, I will gladly send it to you.
Thanks again for any help. _c

"Christina" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Christina Christina is offline

Suzanne kindly looked at a sample from the document and determined the
following:

Although the field-looking things display shading when clicked on (like
fields), toggling field display doesn't affect them. If I use Open and
Repair, they are converted to plain text (at least the PowerPoint slide one
and the page number; the endnote references still behave as expected), which
suggests that they are damaged fields. Was the document perhaps created in
WordPerfect or some other application? I don't know of any way to repair
this document beyond what Open and Repair is capable of, so it may be
necessary to delete and recreate the endnotes. Although that is a bit
tedious, here's how to proceed:

1. On the endnotes page, select and copy the text of the first endnote
(excluding the paragraph mark).

2. Go to the endnote reference in the text (unfortunately you can't do this
by double-clicking on the endnote reference mark in the note--another sign
that something is broken).

3. Delete the endnote reference in the text.

4. Ctrl+Alt+D to insert a new endnote, and paste in the copied text.

You can actually speed up the process of going to the endnotes a bit this
way:

1. Switch to Normal view.

2. Double-click on the reference mark for the *last* endnote.

3. Copy the endnote text and close the endnote pane.

4. Change the browse object to Browse by Endnote and click on the Previous
Endnote button to get to the last endnote reference in the text.

5. Delete and reinsert the endnote, paste in the copied text, close the
endnote pane, and use Previous Endnote again to get to the next-to-last
endnote and repeat the process. It takes longer to describe than to do.

I wish I could help more, but the document is obviously just very badly
damaged.

"Christina" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
[email protected] mxk@datanumen.net is offline

On 4ÔÂ2ÈÕ, ÉÏÎç2ʱ12·Ö, Christina
wrote:
[...]

Hi,

I think you can try a utility called Advanced Word Repair to repair
your Word document. It works rather well for my corrupt Word
documents. Its web address is http://www.datanumen.com/awr/

Alan