Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Barbara White Barbara White is offline

Default protecting a document: allowing form completion AND comments?

using Word 2007 on Windows XP

I have a document with six sections. The first section contains a form;
the rest of the sections contain the document that the form refers to.

Is it possible to protect my document in this way:

.. section 1: the user can fill out a form
.. sections 2-5: the user can add Comments

It seems that I can only protect the document to enable either filling
out forms -or- the entering of comments. I can't figure out how to allow
both actions or, alternatively, allow one action in one section and
another action in a different section. Is that possible?

Before I lock the document, I can turn on Track Changes and then protect
the document to enable the forms. However, my reviewers will want to add
Word Comments v. inserting a comment as a tracked change.

Is there a way to do this?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Dawn Crosier, Word MVP Dawn Crosier, Word MVP is offline

Hi Barbara -

Yes, you can do exactly what you want.
Select the Developer Tab
Click on Protect Document, and then choose Restrict Formatting and
Editing.
In the Editing Restrictions group of the Task Pane, place a checkmark in
"Allow only this type of editing in the document. From the combo box,
choose Filling in Forms. Now you should see a hyperlink "Select
Sections". When you click on the hyperlink, you will see a listing of
your sections. Clear the checkmarks from the sections you don't want
protected and then click OK and Start Enforcing Protection. You can
choose to use a password as well.

If you get stuck, be sure and let us know.

--
Dawn Crosier
Microsoft MVP

"Barbara White" wrote in message
:

using Word 2007 on Windows XP

I have a document with six sections. The first section contains a form;
the rest of the sections contain the document that the form refers to.

Is it possible to protect my document in this way:

. section 1: the user can fill out a form
. sections 2-5: the user can add Comments

It seems that I can only protect the document to enable either filling
out forms -or- the entering of comments. I can't figure out how to allow
both actions or, alternatively, allow one action in one section and
another action in a different section. Is that possible?

Before I lock the document, I can turn on Track Changes and then protect
the document to enable the forms. However, my reviewers will want to add
Word Comments v. inserting a comment as a tracked change.

Is there a way to do this?

Checked by AVG Free Edition.

Checked by AVG Free Edition.
1/30/2008 9:29 AM

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Barbara White Barbara White is offline

Hi, Dawn,

Thanks so much for the help, but I couldn't get this to work completely...

I'm doing this with Word 2007 on Windows XP.

I think I followed the instructions carefully, but when I save the file
(a .dotm file) and then open a copy of it, while I can fill in the form
(in Section 1), I still cannot insert a new Comment anywhere in the
document.

To reach the Comments button, I'm going to the Review Tab, Comments
Group, and looking at "New Comment", but that button is grayed out.

I wonder if I missed something or if there is some other setting that I
might have configured to prevent Comments? I'd be grateful for any other
suggestions/input! Thanks so much.

Dawn Crosier, Word MVP wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Dawn Crosier, Word MVP Dawn Crosier, Word MVP is offline

Hi Barbara -

I missed the point that you were trying to add comments from the Review
tab. Nope, you are locked out of those when you have document protection
turned on. Sorry. I thought you were adding text as comments within a
paragraph.

--
[...]

1/31/2008 9:09 AM

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Barbara White Barbara White is offline

Thanks, Dawn, for letting me know. They'll just have to settle for using
Tracked Changes. Thanks again.