Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Juandini Juandini is offline

Default 2 word versions installed OK?

I developed a serious problem with Office 2000 Word (program would hang up
and never did open) I couldn't resolve over three days of troubleshooting so
I dumped 2002 and installed Office 2003 and the problem went away. However,
my contact management software doesn't recognize any version of Word newer
than 2002 so I'm wondering if it's possible to have a standalone version of
Word 2002 installed alongside that included with Office 2003 hoping that the
contact management software can distinguish between the two. I would be
grateful for any help or suggestions you can send my way.

Thanks in advance, I appreciate what you do for the community.
--
Juan Muzquiz
Investment Realty Resources, Inc.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Dawn Crosier, Word MVP Dawn Crosier, Word MVP is offline

As long as you install to two different directories - Such as Office
2000 and Office 2003 - then you should be ok. You will notice a delay
when opening the two versions of Word unless you edit your registry
settings. Here is a tutorial on how to use Word 2007 and Word 2003
together, the process will be the same, the editions of word will be
lower numbers depending on which versions you work with.

http://word2007bible.herbtyson.com/2...03-coexisting/

--
Dawn Crosier
Microsoft MVP

"Juandini" wrote in message
:

I developed a serious problem with Office 2000 Word (program would hang up
and never did open) I couldn't resolve over three days of troubleshooting so
I dumped 2002 and installed Office 2003 and the problem went away. However,
my contact management software doesn't recognize any version of Word newer
than 2002 so I'm wondering if it's possible to have a standalone version of
Word 2002 installed alongside that included with Office 2003 hoping that the
contact management software can distinguish between the two. I would be
grateful for any help or suggestions you can send my way.

Thanks in advance, I appreciate what you do for the community.
--
Juan Muzquiz
Investment Realty Resources, Inc.

2/12/2008 9:31 AM

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

However, if Word is not using the folders that the management software
expects it may still not work.
It may be worth asking the software writer of the management software for a
patch to enable it to work with the later version. The software is so
similar it will either be looking for a reference to Word 10.0 rather than
11.0 or looking for a particular folder - dare I suggest the Office startup
folder which has a different location for Office 10 and 11?

Word 2003 - C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE11\STARTUP
Word 2002 - C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE10\STARTUP

If you have an add-in associated with your software in the latter folder,
try moving it to the former.

Dawn Crosier, Word MVP wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

"Juandini" wrote in message
:

I developed a serious problem with Office 2000 Word (program would hang up
and never did open) I couldn't resolve over three days of troubleshooting so
I dumped 2002 and installed Office 2003 and the problem went away. However,
my contact management software doesn't recognize any version of Word newer
than 2002 so I'm wondering if it's possible to have a standalone version of
Word 2002 installed alongside that included with Office 2003 hoping that the
contact management software can distinguish between the two. I would be
grateful for any help or suggestions you can send my way.

Thanks in advance, I appreciate what you do for the community.
--
Juan Muzquiz
Investment Realty Resources, Inc.

2/12/2008 9:31 AM

Thanks so much for your help!

Juan

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

"Juandini" wrote:

I developed a serious problem with Office 2000 Word (program would hang up
and never did open) I couldn't resolve over three days of troubleshooting so
I dumped 2002 and installed Office 2003 and the problem went away. However,
my contact management software doesn't recognize any version of Word newer
than 2002 so I'm wondering if it's possible to have a standalone version of
Word 2002 installed alongside that included with Office 2003 hoping that the
contact management software can distinguish between the two. I would be
grateful for any help or suggestions you can send my way.

Thanks in advance, I appreciate what you do for the community.
--
Juan Muzquiz
Investment Realty Resources, Inc.

Thank you all for your help!