Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
David Robinson David Robinson is offline

Default Report Creation

Hello,

I just changed jobs from grocery store manager to 8th grade English teacher.
I am not unfamiliar with basic use of Word but I want to streamline some
things.

The teachers have to generate 5 different types of reports. Each report has
4-5 sections that are the same every time:
- A header
- Table of contents
- Description of the course or program (optional)
- Grade, effort, change in status table
- Parental acceptance and signature area

It also has areas that each teacher may want to add that are standard or
unique to the teacher's requirements. In total this means there may be
anywhere from 5-12 sections in each report. Today there reports are nearly
all generated manually by cut & paste from old versions. This creates a
crazy mishmash which each teacher then has to sort out to make some
semblance of a cohesive document. It gets even harder to get these done
when a new teacher comes along - like me.

So what I want to do is create some sort of standardized report generation
system. I don't even know if Word is the right place to do this but since
the existing docs are all in Word already it seems like the right place to
start. Ideally I'd like to have all of the report components stuffed into a
single doc. When a teacher opens the doc should be able to easily identify
the sections that they need and don't need. I've tried simply putting them
together as one long doc but this makes section removal pretty tedious.
What I'd really like is a way to have a shorthand list of sections that the
teachers could just select the sections they want and save that into their
new report.

I think....

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated,
Dave
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Beth Melton Beth Melton is offline

What version of Word are you using?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Beth Melton
Microsoft Office MVP

Coauthor of Word 2007 Inside Out:

Word FAQ: http://mvps.org/word
MVP FAQ site: http://mvps.org/

"David Robinson" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
David Robinson David Robinson is offline

Word 2007
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Beth Melton Beth Melton is offline

I think you can accomplish what you are looking for by creating a template
for the report and create a Building Block for each additional section which
can be quickly inserted into new documents, multiple times if necessary. If
you aren't familiar with Building Blocks, take a look at the Insert tab and
the Cover Page, Header, Footer galleries. The Cover Page gallery might be
more like what you have in mind.

When you create your Building Blocks, save them in your template and
associate them with a Custom Gallery. That way you can add the gallery to
the Quick Access Toolbar for quick insertion. Note that if you elect to
modify the Quick Access Toolbar for the template, make sure you select your
template when making the customizations. (If you need help with this, post
back and let us know.)

For more on Building Blocks take a look at
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/he...341311033.aspx

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
David Robinson[_2_] David Robinson[_2_] is offline

That looks like exactly what I want. I've managed to put a couple blocks
together pretty quickly and they appear to work as advertised. Naturally
I've run into a couple questions though:

1. I built a Cover Page block and set it to insert all of the content on a
new page. The content of the cover page uses one entire page. When I insert
it from the Building Block gallery it changes the line spacing. I have a
bunch of blank lines set to Arial-10 and single spaced but when it's inserted
from the gallery it ends up double spacing the lines.

2. Is there some way to enfore an order for any given section? I see that
the Cover Page can be forced to insert at the beginning. I'd like to be able
to force other sections to only appear either before or after other sections.

Thanks for the help. I can already see parts of this coming together.

David

"Teaching is a lifelong everyone-to-everyone endeavour."

"Beth Melton" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

"David Robinson" David wrote in message
That looks like exactly what I want. I've managed to put a couple blocks
together pretty quickly and they appear to work as advertised. Naturally
I've run into a couple questions though:

1. I built a Cover Page block and set it to insert all of the content on
new page. The content of the cover page uses one entire page.

Unless you want to insert the Building Block as the first page then you
don't want to use the Cover Page gallery for your custom Building Blocks.
Granted, if you right-click a thumbnail in the gallery you are presented
with other insertion options but those are frequently overlooked. What I
would do is add them to one of the Custom galleries available, such as
Custom 1. Then you can add the Custom 1 Building Blocks gallery to the Quick
Access Toolbar (for only the template, not all documents) to make them
accessible.

When I insert
it from the Building Block gallery it changes the line spacing. I have a
bunch of blank lines set to Arial-10 and single spaced but when it's
inserted
from the gallery it ends up double spacing the lines.

I'm not sure why you are adding empty paragraphs, but it sounds like you
need to change your Document Defaults if you want single spaced lines and no
space before/after the paragraph. For this, on the Home tab, click the
dialog box launcher in the Paragraph group, make your spacing changes, then
click the Default button at the bottom. Note you want to make sure your
template is open so the defaults are applied to your template and not your
Normal template.

2. Is there some way to enfore an order for any given section? I see that
the Cover Page can be forced to insert at the beginning. I'd like to be
able
to force other sections to only appear either before or after other
sections.

Only the Cover Page gallery includes the ability to insert the Building
Block as the first page. Unless you right-click a Building Block thumbnail
and select an insertion method from the options provided they will be
inserted at the insertion point.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Beth Melton
Microsoft Office MVP

Coauthor of Word 2007 Inside Out:

Word FAQ: http://mvps.org/word
MVP FAQ site: http://mvps.org/

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
David Robinson[_3_] David Robinson[_3_] is offline

I guess I'm showing my 'novice Word user' side.

The extra paragraphs were used to position text for the letterhead at the
top, the report title in the middle of the page, and the document creator at
the bottom. Is there a better way to position these blocks?

"Beth Melton" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Dawn Crosier, Word MVP Dawn Crosier, Word MVP is offline

To eliminate the extra hard returns, you might try adjusting space
before and after your style using the Space Before and Space After,
which is found in the Page Layout Group. Or if you are modifying a
style, it can be found in the Paragraph dialog box.

--
Dawn Crosier
Microsoft MVP

"David Robinson" wrote in
message :

I guess I'm showing my 'novice Word user' side.

The extra paragraphs were used to position text for the letterhead at the
top, the report title in the middle of the page, and the document creator at
the bottom. Is there a better way to position these blocks?

Checked by AVG Free Edition.
1/31/2008 9:09 AM

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Beth Melton Beth Melton is offline

Ah! I was thinking they were used as "empty lines" for typing. If you
examine the built-in Cover Pages you'll find they use a combination of Word
tables and text boxes. I tend to use a borderless Word table for these types
of layouts. I find a borderless Word table lends itself to more precise
positioning and control over the layout.

Additionally, since you are using a Title and document creator, the built-in
Cover Pages also use bound Document Property fields for data such as the
Title and the document creator. When you enter data in these controls they
also update the File Properties and it makes it easy to repeat information
in other areas of the document since changing it in one control will
automatically update the others. (For example if you want to add the Report
Title to the header or footer). If that's something you are interested in
these can be found on the Insert tab under Quick Parts/Document Property.

Also, if you want to use the other types of controls (called Content
Controls) you see used in the built-in Cover Pages, such as the Calendar
control, the "Type here" controls, drop down lists, etc these are found on
the Developers tab. This tab is turned off by default so if you don't see
it, click the Office Button, click Word Options, and in the Popular section,
select "Show Developer tab in the Ribbon".

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Beth Melton" wrote:

I'm not sure why you are adding empty paragraphs, but it sounds like you
need to change your Document Defaults if you want single spaced lines and
no
space before/after the paragraph. For this, on the Home tab, click the
dialog box launcher in the Paragraph group, make your spacing changes,
then
click the Default button at the bottom. Note you want to make sure your
template is open so the defaults are applied to your template and not
your
Normal template.

Creation dates Lori Microsoft Word Help 4 September 23rd 07 05:35 AM
Creation dates Lori Microsoft Word Help 0 September 22nd 07 06:24 PM
PDF Creation John Microsoft Word Help 9 March 2nd 06 04:09 AM
PDF Creation John New Users 10 March 2nd 06 04:09 AM
problem with pdf creation MAX Microsoft Word Help 1 January 26th 05 10:49 AM