Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
JW having trouble with Word JW having trouble with Word is offline

Default How to protect drop-down list entries

I created a form using a standard document template. The template has
drop-down lists in it. What I am trying to do is protect these fields once
they have been selected. For example, I want to be able to fill the form out,
select the drop-down items that I need, and then save the form as a .doc.
What I dont want to happen, is someone going in weeks or months later and
being able to change these drop-down values.
I tried setting the document to read-only, but when I emailed it to
someone, they were still able to change the drop-downs. Any tips or
suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Dawn Crosier, Word MVP Dawn Crosier, Word MVP is offline

I have a form which has an automation of Suzanne's suggestion. I have a
command button on the form for "Final". Attached to the command button
is the following macro.

Sub FinalForm()
'Prepare the document to be saved in a final form.
If ActiveDocument.ProtectionType = wdAllowOnlyFormFields Then
ActiveDocument.Unprotect Password:=""
End IF
'Unlink the fields
Selection.WholeStory
Selection.Fields.Unlink
End Sub

If you desire, you could then reprotect the document after you have
unlinked the fields.

--
Dawn Crosier
Microsoft MVP

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
:

You could unlink the form fields with Ctrl+Shift+F9.

HYPERLINK "Word@discus sions.microsoft.com wrote in message

I created a form using a standard document template. The template has
drop-down lists in it. What I am trying to do is protect these fields
once
they have been selected. For example, I want to be able to fill the form
out,
select the drop-down items that I need, and then save the form as a .doc.
What I dont want to happen, is someone going in weeks or months later and
being able to change these drop-down values.
I tried setting the document to read-only, but when I emailed it to
someone, they were still able to change the drop-downs. Any tips or
suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Checked by AVG Free Edition.

Checked by AVG Free Edition.
2/1/2008 9:59 AM