Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
EchoGreg EchoGreg is offline

Default How do I reference a cell in one table and place it in another?

I would like to do in Word what I do in Excel, use a formula to reference
information in a cell in one place and put it in another cell (e.g. If the
information in Table1, cell A2 is "Great", I want the word "Great" to appear
in Table2 in cell A1. In Excel, the formula would simply be "=Table1:A2".
What is the procedure in Word? Thanks.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Dawn Crosier, Word MVP Dawn Crosier, Word MVP is offline

The easiest method is to bookmark the cell text and then create a
cross-reference to it in the second table. Otherwise you are going to
need a VBA solution as near as I can tell.

--
Dawn Crosier
Microsoft MVP

"EchoGreg" wrote in message
:

I would like to do in Word what I do in Excel, use a formula to reference
information in a cell in one place and put it in another cell (e.g. If the
information in Table1, cell A2 is "Great", I want the word "Great" to appear
in Table2 in cell A1. In Excel, the formula would simply be "=Table1:A2".
What is the procedure in Word? Thanks.

Checked by AVG Free Edition.
2/4/2008 10:10 AM

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Henk57[_181_] Henk57[_181_] is offline

Dawn Crosier, Word MVP;2612207 Wrote:
The easiest method is to bookmark the cell text and then create a
cross-reference to it in the second table. Otherwise you are going to
need a VBA solution as near as I can tell.

--
Dawn Crosier
Microsoft MVP
"Education Lasts a Lifetime"
This message is posted to a newsgroup. Please post replies and
questions
to the newsgroup so that others can learn as well.

"EchoGreg" wrote in message
:
-
I would like to do in Word what I do in Excel, use a formula to
reference
information in a cell in one place and put it in another cell (e.g. If
the
information in Table1, cell A2 is "Great", I want the word "Great" to
appear
in Table2 in cell A1. In Excel, the formula would simply be
"=Table1:A2".
What is the procedure in Word? Thanks.-

Checked by AVG Free Edition.
2/4/2008 10:10 AM

As an alternative solution to Dawn's, you can copy the text from the
source cell in Table 1 and paste it "As link" (via Edit/Paste
Special..) in the destination cell in Table 2. The contents are then
linked: changes in the source cell are also reflected in the
destination cell. This method works similar as dynamically linking to
Excel cells.
As an additional remark, I suggest to show Field shading as "Always" so
the destination cell shows as a field (with a gray background) to remind
you not to overwrite this value.

--
Henk57