Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Kate K

Default How can I get the captions to show chapter numbers correctly?

I am writing a large document with several chapters in it. When I insert
captions (insert--reference--caption; select label tables, click number,
check the "include chapter number box"), the captions worked for the first
five chapters. But for chapter 6, rather than displaying the captions as
Table 6.1 or Table 6.2, it displays it as Table 0.1 and Table 0.2. When I
manually type over the 0 and put a 6, it looks OK (e.g., Table 6.1). But if
I do anything, like reconfigure my Index page, then, the tables come up as
Table 6.0.1 and Table 6.0.2. How can I get Word to show the captions
correctly?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Anne Troy

I'd really have to see the document. If you like, you can send to my first
name at the web below my name.
************
Hope it helps!
Anne Troy
www.OfficeArticles.com

"Kate K" wrote in message

"Anne Troy" wrote:

The title of Chapter 6 must be Heading 1. Then, it must be numbered
properly. I would select chapter 6's name and Format--Bullets and
Numbering, and make sure "restart numbering" or start number at zero is
NOT
being used.
************
Hope it helps!
Anne Troy
www.OfficeArticles.com

"Kate K" Kate wrote in message
I am writing a large document with several chapters in it. When I
insert
captions (insert--reference--caption; select label tables, click
number,
check the "include chapter number box"), the captions worked for the
first
five chapters. But for chapter 6, rather than displaying the captions
as
Table 6.1 or Table 6.2, it displays it as Table 0.1 and Table 0.2.
When I
manually type over the 0 and put a 6, it looks OK (e.g., Table 6.1).
But
if
I do anything, like reconfigure my Index page, then, the tables come up
as
Table 6.0.1 and Table 6.0.2. How can I get Word to show the captions
correctly?

Chapters definitely set to Heading 1. And there were no problems with the
restart numbering. Any other suggestions for solving the 0?