Steve

Default Find File with Word 2000 & XP

(I tried to submit this question a couple of days ago and believe it was not
received. I can't find any trace of that posting. I am NOT trying to post
duplicate messages.)

Can anyone help me with this? I use Word 2000's Find File feature a lot so I
can search for a word that could be in any of several hundred Word files.
This worked fine with Windows 98SE, but now that I've installed XP, I can't
use Word's Find File feature. When I try to, I get an error message saying
that "Word was unable to install the necessary filters. This search cannot be
completed."

I have uninstalled Word (and all of Office) and reinstalled it, but the same
problem persists. Do anyone have any suggestions so I can solve this problem,
keeping Word 2000 and XP?

Many thanks.
--
Steve
Pat Garard

G'Day Steve,

In Word Xp, to the right of the Menubar, there is a box 'Type
a question for help'. Type 'find file' in this box and press Enter.

The 'Search' button is immediately to the Left of the 'Print'
button on the Standard Toolbar.

Be careful with the 'Selected locations' dropdown - when you
click a folder once, it is ticked and will be searched. If you click
it a second time, it remains ticked and the icon changes to indicate
that subfolders will also be searched.

You may need to activate the Indexing Service.
--
Regards,
Pat Garard

"Steve" wrote in message
[...]

Steve

Pat,

Thanks for replying. I guess I wasn't clear. I don't have Word XP. I use
Word 2000. The Find Files problem in Word 2000 began when I installed Windows
XP, so I'm wondering if Word 2000's Find Files feature won't work under
Windows XP. I read at this site that Word 2000 is supposed to be fully
compatible with Windows XP, so that's what I got on my new computer. Now, the
Word Find Files feature I really depend on won't work.

If you have any ideas, please fire away!

P.S. Greetings from Oregon, where I'm married to an Aussie.

"Steve" wrote in message
[...]

Pat Garard

G'Day (again) Steve,

Yes -- I thought you meant Office Xp. However my answer
remains essentially unchanged: Are you running the Win Xp
Indexing Service?

Search Help & Support for 'Indexing' or:
Right-Click "My Computer"
Click 'Manage'
In the left pane, Click on the '+' beside 'Services and
Applications'
Click 'Services'
In the right pane, look for 'Indexing Service' - is it running?

If NOT Right-Click 'Indexing Service'
Click Properties
Change 'Startup type' to "Automatic", 'n Click 'OK'.

It's possible that you may have to remove and re-install
Office 2000.

You show great taste in your choice of Wife!! Of course I
would have to validate HER taste - in some other lifetime.
--
Cheers,
Pat Garard

"Steve" wrote in message
[...]

Steve

Pat,

Many thanks for the suggestions. I checked to see if XP's Indexing Services
was turned on (I had never heard of it, so this is all new to me). It was set
on "manual" and was "stopped," so I reset it following your directions to
"automatic" and then started it. With baited breath and white knuckles of
anticipation I then went to Word to see if the Find File feature would work.
No luck. I still get an error message saying "Word could not install
necessary filters. This search cannot be completed."

It's late on this side of the pond after a long day, but tomorrow I'll read
all I can about "Indexing." I really appreciate the leads and will try just
about anything to get the Word Find File capability back again. I really rely
on it for my writing.

With Indexing Services now running automatically, do you advise me to
uninstall Office and then reinstall? I did this once (when Indexing Services
were set to "manual") but am willing to give it another go.

Thanks, Pat --

Steve

P.S. You are SO right: My Aussie wife is the best thing to happen to me, but
I wouldn't be surprised if this wasn't as true for her! Maybe we need to
visit Australia together to put some Aussie wisdom in my soul. You have a
great country and people. I sometimes wish we lived there, esp. in recent
years.

"Steve" wrote in message
[...]

Pat Garard

G'Day Steve,

Ok! Are you trying to use this feature with BOTH Office 2000
AND Office Xp??

The 'Search' facility of Office Xp (which includes finding
files) should now work (after an interval that allows the
Indexing Service to get some Indexing done!). However
there MAY be a conflict between the versions of Office
in relation to 'Search' (Xp) and 'Find File' (2000), in
relation to the Filters. This is a matter in which my ignorance
reaches record depths of profundity. I'm inclined, at this
point, to throw another Shrimp on the Barby!
--
Regards,
Pat Garard

"Steve" wrote in message
[...]

Steve

Suzanne,

Thanks for clarifying. Yes, the problem has to do with Word 2000 and Windows
XP.

I've found some information that (to me) implies that Word 2000 is not fully
compatible with Windows XP, and that this may be the problem.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/243016/EN-US/ says that "The Setup logic for
Office 2000 intentionally turns off and hides the Find Fast Control Panel and
the Converters for Search Tools when Office 2000 detects that you are using
Windows 2000 or Windows XP. "

This article doesn't give any solution. Do you think that it's valid to
conclude that Word 2000's Find Files feature cannot work in Windows XP?

Many thanks for your thoughts, which I really appreciate.

Steven

"Steve" wrote in message
[...]

Pat Garard

Thanks Suzanne -

Steve - if you de-install Office, be sure to remove it
COMPLETELY before re-installing.

See:
http://support.microsoft.com/default...-gb;823418#kb4
The section on "How to completely remove Microsoft Office"
references 4 KB articles related to the removal of Office 2000.
--
Regards,
Pat Garard

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
No, he's using Word 2000 and WINDOWS XP!

so
all may benefit.

"Steve" wrote in message
[...]

I skipped Office 2000, and I'm using Windows 2000, so I can't in any way
speak to this, but in Word 2002 and 2003, I gave up on using Word's search
capabilities, finding Windows Search more efficient.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

No, he's using Word 2000 and WINDOWS XP!

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"Steve" wrote in message
[...]

Steve

Pat -

Thanks very much for the instructions and link on uninstalling Office. What
a lot to go through! Before I try uninstalling and reinstalling it a second
time I hope to hear from someone posting here about whether my inference is
correct (that Word 2000 is not fully compatible with Windows XP, at least
with regard to Word 2000's Find Files feature). If that's right, then it
seems like it would be pointless to keep trying.

Thanks again,

Steven