Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
John John is offline

Default Word is preparing to go to this link

Word 2007 SP1
XP Pro SP2

Problem: "Word is preparing to go to this link" is very slow the first time

When I click the first time on a link in a Word DOC, Word takes 20 seconds
to bring up the link in the browser. The browser is already running. You can
see the progression bar in the status bar moving slowly with the message that
"Word is preparing to go to this link." The next time I click on any link,
Word opens the link quickly. Why is it so slow for the first link? Thanks in
advance.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Robert M. Franz [RMF] Robert M. Franz [RMF] is offline

Hello John

John wrote:
Word 2007 SP1
XP Pro SP2

Problem: "Word is preparing to go to this link" is very slow the first time

When I click the first time on a link in a Word DOC, Word takes 20 seconds
to bring up the link in the browser. The browser is already running. You can
see the progression bar in the status bar moving slowly with the message that
"Word is preparing to go to this link." The next time I click on any link,
Word opens the link quickly. Why is it so slow for the first link? Thanks in
advance.

I guess Word is not really loading the page from the remote source on
the second visit, but opens up a cached copy.

HTH
Robert
--
/"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign | MSFT |
\ / | MVP | Scientific Reports
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
John John is offline

I found out that my software firewall was apparently slowing the connection
down but not blocking it from happening which is not what one would expect
i.e. one expects it to block completely. When I removed the firewall entry
for Word, the link problem went away.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

John wrote:
I found out that my software firewall was apparently slowing the connection
down but not blocking it from happening which is not what one would expect
i.e. one expects it to block completely. When I removed the firewall entry
for Word, the link problem went away.

well, software has to jump through more loops due to security, so this
could take longer.

Anyway, glad you have it sorted out, and thanks for the update!

Greetinx
Robert
--
/"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign | MSFT |