Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
jdaman1998 jdaman1998 is offline

Default How do I limit text output from a merge field?

Hi;
This seems like it should be a very easy thing to do. In Access, I put
both the First Name and Middle Initial into the "First Name" field.
When I print my advertisements using Word Mail Mere, I want only the
first name to appear, ignoring the initial. I am guessing there is an
"If/ Then" statement or something that I can insert that will have
mailmerge only use the letters before the space, but I can't figure out
how to do that. Of course, I could make a middle initial field in
Access, and just might do that. I was just curious and would like to
learn more of this aspect of mail merge anyway.
Thanx
Jdaman

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
jdaman1998 jdaman1998 is offline

It would appear you are correct. It is not a large database, so adding
the new column and separating the middle name to its own field did not
present a problem.
Also, how do you use the format feature in the Address Block screen?
Thanx,

jdaman1998 wrote:
Hi;
This seems like it should be a very easy thing to do. In Access, I
put both the First Name and Middle Initial into the "First Name"
field. When I print my advertisements using Word Mail Mere, I want
only the first name to appear, ignoring the initial. I am guessing
there is an "If/ Then" statement or something that I can insert that
will have mailmerge only use the letters before the space, but I
can't figure out how to do that. Of course, I could make a middle
initial field in Access, and just might do that. I was just curious
and would like to learn more of this aspect of mail merge anyway.
Thanx
Jdaman

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Don't even try. The address block field causes more problems than it solves.
Use the individual fields presented in whatever way you require.
You can conditionally insert the initial field to avoid unwanted spaces eg
{Mergefield FirstName}{IF {Mergefield Initial} "" " {Mergefield
Initial}."} {Mergefield LastName}