TD

Default Knowledge Base Article 294686 Missing Information

I am trying to duplicate the results found in the example given in MS
Knowledge Base Article 294686, and can't. I have created an Excel data file
exactly as shown in example, and created the Word document using the
instructions supplied. I have copied the commands listed under the "example"
section into the document, but do not get the results shown in article. At
the point which you "Arrange the directory" in the Mail Merge wizard process,
I used Ctrl+F9 to create a field code, pasted the commands into it, but to no
avail. Do I need to add the 3 merge field, city, employee and sales? What am
I missing here?

Thanks,
TD
Doug Robbins

You need to use Ctrl+F9 to create each pair of field delimiters {} whereever
they appear in the article. If you just used Ctrl+F9 once and then copied
and pasted the field construction inside the field delimiters so created, it
will not work.

Here's another way that you can use if you create a Catalog (on in Word XP
and later, it's called Directory) type mailmerge main document with the
mergefields in the cells of a one row table in the mailmerge main document
with the keyfield in the first cell in the row and then execute that merge
to a new document and then run the following macro, it will create separate
tables with the records for each key field in them. With a bit of further
development, you may be able to get it to do what you want.

' Macro to create multiple items per condition in separate tables from a
directory type mailmerge

Dim source As Document, target As Document, scat As Range, tcat As Range
Dim data As Range, stab As Table, ttab As Table
Dim i As Long, j As Long, k As Long, n As Long
Set source = ActiveDocument
Set target = Documents.Add
Set stab = source.Tables(1)
k = stab.Columns.Count
Set ttab = target.Tables.Add(Range:=Selection.Range, numrows:=1,
numcolumns:=k - 1)
Set scat = stab.Cell(1, 1).Range
scat.End = scat.End - 1
ttab.Cell(1, 1).Range = scat
j = ttab.Rows.Count
For i = 1 To stab.Rows.Count
Set tcat = ttab.Cell(j, 1).Range
tcat.End = tcat.End - 1
Set scat = stab.Cell(i, 1).Range
scat.End = scat.End - 1
If scat tcat Then
ttab.Rows.Add
j = ttab.Rows.Count
ttab.Cell(j, 1).Range = scat
ttab.Cell(j, 1).Range.Paragraphs(1).PageBreakBefore = True
ttab.Rows.Add
ttab.Cell(j + 1, 1).Range.Paragraphs(1).PageBreakBefore = False
For n = 2 To k
Set data = stab.Cell(i, n).Range
data.End = data.End - 1
ttab.Cell(ttab.Rows.Count, n - 1).Range = data
Next n
Else
ttab.Rows.Add
For n = 2 To k
Set data = stab.Cell(i, n).Range
data.End = data.End - 1
ttab.Cell(ttab.Rows.Count, n - 1).Range = data
Next n
End If
Next i

consulting basis.