Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Kate

Default Blank space - PLEASE HELP ASAP

I have a deadline for a major piece of work on Monday and I am having real
difficulties! Within 2 pages of my document, I have inserted a picture and
copy/pasted one from the net. The formatting seems to have gone mad, and I
now have blank space above the 1st picture on the previous page, below it on
the same page and I can't cut/paste the text even with click and type.

Any help would be REALLY appreciated as I'm going into meltdown here! Have
searched everywhere and can't seem to find any help. I'm a real techno-dummy,
so any help will need to be gentle!

Many, many thanks in advance

Kate
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Shauna Kelly

Hi Kate

First, click the ¶ button on the toolbar. That will show you a ¶ sign for
every paragraph. If you have heaps of empty paragraphs in the document, then
you can almost certainly delete them, but keep reading before you do that.

Second, do Tools Options. On the View tab, tick Object Anchors.

Third, work out whether your pictures are in-line or floating. To do that,
double-click the picture. On the Layout tab, if "In line with text" is
selected, then the picture is inline. If any other option is selected (eg
Square, Tight etc) then the picture is floating.

If the picture is inline, it will behave like one very big character.

If the picture is floating, you can easily drag it around the page with your
mouse, and text will wrap around the picture. When you click a floating
picture, you will see a little anchor in the left margin. Every floating
picture is anchored to a paragraph. Word will ensure that the picture is
always on the page to which it is anchored. You can drag the anchor itself
to a new paragraph, so as to anchor the picture to a new paragraph.

General rule:
- If your picture is large (the width of the text, or nearly that width),
make the picture in line and delete any unnecessary paragraphs
..
- If your picture is small (much less than the width of the text), and you
want the text to wrap around the picture, then make it float, and put the
anchor on the paragraph where the picture belongs.

More info at:

The draw layer: a metaphysical space
http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/DrwGrphcs/DrawLayer.htm

and

How to keep a figure on the same page as its caption
http://www.ShaunaKelly.com/word/figu...thcaption.html

Hope this helps.

Shauna Kelly. Microsoft MVP.

"Kate" wrote in message
I have a deadline for a major piece of work on Monday and I am having real
difficulties! Within 2 pages of my document, I have inserted a picture and
copy/pasted one from the net. The formatting seems to have gone mad, and I
now have blank space above the 1st picture on the previous page, below it
on
the same page and I can't cut/paste the text even with click and type.

Any help would be REALLY appreciated as I'm going into meltdown here! Have
searched everywhere and can't seem to find any help. I'm a real
techno-dummy,
so any help will need to be gentle!

Many, many thanks in advance

Kate

blank record empty space after merge John Mailmerge 4 April 13th 06 09:42 AM
Drop-down with blank space cleo Microsoft Word Help 1 November 11th 05 12:50 AM
blank space in merge Tatum Mailmerge 1 November 3rd 05 06:38 AM
How do I omit blank space in a document created with a template? anjajane Microsoft Word Help 5 October 6th 05 10:19 PM
Why do I get a large blank space within my Word table? Todd F. Tables 1 November 4th 04 08:05 PM