Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Roshan Q Roshan Q is offline

Default How to display header/footer in existing documents by default?

In Word 2003 SP2 (fully patched), how can I display the header/footer in
existing (not new) documents when I open them? Here's the situation:

I have multiple documents created in Word 2000 and unchanged since their
creation. When I open them on my old computer (running Win2K/Word2K), they
open showing the header/footer. However, when I open them on my new computer
(running WinXPSP2/Word2K3), they do not. I have found two workarounds, but
they are document-specific, not universal, so I have to do them for each
document I open:

€˘ View - Header and Footer
-- or --
€˘ Tools -- Options -- "View" tab -- "Print and Web Layout options" -- check
"White space between pages (Print view only)"

I have also read Suzanne Barnhill's document on white space
(http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/WhiteSpace.htm) as well as Microsoft's KB
article "Description of the "White space between pages" option in Word"
(http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=297564) -- and maybe the answers are in
there -- but I am still unable to get this to be a sticky setting for all
documents.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Lene Fredborg Lene Fredborg is offline

As you have experienced, the setting €śDisplay white space between pages€ť in
Tools Options View tab affects only new documents you create. In general,
existing documents open with the setting turned on or off depending on the
setting when they were last saved.

However, you can use an Auto macro to change the setting. If you save the
AutoOpen macro below in your Normal.dot, the macro will turn on €śDisplay
white space between pages€ť when you open existing documents.

Sub AutoOpen()
'Turn on €śDisplay white Space between pages€ť
ActiveWindow.View.DisplayPageBoundaries = True
End Sub

--
Regards
Lene Fredborg