Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Troy Vann Troy Vann is offline

Default Text comes on right side of Bullets?

I am using Word 2002. I have two main problems.

(1) Whenever I open the new document, the default insertion point comes on
the right side of the document. How can I change it so it comes to the left
side of the document?
(2) Whenever I insert the bullets or numbering, the text comes on the left
side of the bullets or numbering? How can I fix this?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cindy M. Cindy M. is offline

Hi Troy,

I am using Word 2002. I have two main problems.

(1) Whenever I open the new document, the default insertion point comes on
the right side of the document. How can I change it so it comes to the left
side of the document?
(2) Whenever I insert the bullets or numbering, the text comes on the left
side of the bullets or numbering? How can I fix this?

I've been jumping by this the past couple of days because it's been a long
time since I've actually dealt with this - I'm not sure I can remember exactly
what needs to be done (in Office 2002).

The problem is certainly that a right-to-left language has been activated for
Word (Office).

In Tools/Language/Set language you should be able to see what the language
formatting is for the current selection. What is it?

In the Windows START menu you should be able to drill through the "Programs"
to find something like Microsoft Office/Office Tools and in there the entry
for language tools. (I can't remember the exact menu names, so you have to do
a bit of thinking.) The language tools dialog box should list which languages
are "activated" and which the default language is. Remove anything from this
list you don't actively want to use and (re-)set the default to your preferred
language.

I *think* this should solve it.

As to how something like this can happen: one possible (and frequent) cause is
copying something from the Internet into an Office application that has the
RTL language format.

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Troy Vann[_2_] Troy Vann[_2_] is offline

Hey Cindy,

Thanks for trying to help me.

In Tools/Language/Set language it is set to Arabic. I tired to set it to
English and also made it Default, but after clicking OK (and also restarting
computer) it again comes to the Arabic Language. I don't know what is the
problem.

In Microsoft Office/Office Tools/Language tools the default version is
English but Arabic is also in the enabled languages section. So if the
default language is English, why in WORD it shows the insertion point on
right side? Why bullets comes in wrong side?

I also noticed that I have Office XP. When I opened Word file, it shows
"Microsoft Office XP" but in the Help/About Microsoft Word it shows 2002. Why
it is like that? I have XP CD, how can I fix this problem? I have a lot of
word, excel files, I don't want to lose any thing. So, please tell me step by
step procedure.

Thanks

"Cindy M." wrote:

Hi Troy,

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

See http://homepage.swissonline.ch/cindymeister/LangFmt.htm.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Troy Vann" wrote in message
[...]

"Cindy M." wrote:

Hi Troy,

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Troy Vann[_2_] Troy Vann[_2_] is offline

I have already checked /cindymeister pages, but could not find any
information regarding my problem. My default Windows language is set to
English and remaining things I have already explained in my post # 2.

"Stefan Blom" wrote:

See http://homepage.swissonline.ch/cindymeister/LangFmt.htm.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cindy M. Cindy M. is offline

Hi ?B?VHJveSBWYW5u?=,

In Tools/Language/Set language it is set to Arabic. I tired to set it to
English and also made it Default, but after clicking OK (and also

restarting
computer) it again comes to the Arabic Language. I don't know what is

the
problem.

If you Ctrl+A, then change to English, do things change for that one
document?

In Microsoft Office/Office Tools/Language tools the default version is
English but Arabic is also in the enabled languages section. So if the
default language is English, why in WORD it shows the insertion point on
right side? Why bullets comes in wrong side?

Try *deleting* the entry for Arabic. As long as it's available, Word can
use it.

Since version 97, Office takes the language for a new document from the
WINDOWS environment. (You say you read the information in the link Stefan
gave you, but apparently you didn't work all the way through it...) You
should also check with Arabic is in your Windows Regional settings as a
language. If it is, remove it.

I also noticed that I have Office XP. When I opened Word file, it shows
"Microsoft Office XP" but in the Help/About Microsoft Word it shows 2002

Using your CD to change the installation isn't going to affect this
problem... "XP" (for eXPerience) was a marketing gag. Since 1995, the
"real" names of the Office applications have been a year (Office 95,
Office 97, etc.) That's why you see Word 2002 (= version 10.0).