Sandra

Default Please Help Me! Superscript went crazy

I have a 500-page document. All endnotes were bracketed
example: [29] because I did not know how to use
superscript. Then, I read how to use it on this site.
It worked, but all the numbers withiin the text jumped up
too. (All the text moved,too) Stupidly, I then tried to
get rid of the brackets and just leave the supscripted
numbers. Wrong! Now I have NO endnotes. Instead, I have
0 90-90-90- replacing every single endnote and every
single number that falls within the text! I tried to use
the Undo arrow, but it says It Can't Undo. Please, is
there a way to go back to my original endnotes WITHOUT
the superscript?
Daiya Mitchell

Can you close the document without saving your changes?

I have a 500-page document. All endnotes were bracketed
example: [29] because I did not know how to use
superscript. Then, I read how to use it on this site.
It worked, but all the numbers withiin the text jumped up
too. (All the text moved,too)

Sounds like you selected all, and applied superscript? How did you do this?
Stupidly, I then tried to
get rid of the brackets and just leave the supscripted
numbers.

And how exactly did you go about doing that?

--
Daiya Mitchell, MVP Mac/Word
Word FAQ: http://www.word.mvps.org/

Daiya Mitchell

Please don't change the subject--we aren't all accessing the newsgroups the
same way and changing the subject can throw others off.

I don't know of anything to be done, but (as I asked in my first post,
inline with your writing) you need to *explicitly* state what you did, to
see if it can be undone. That is, exactly what commands did you use to
achieve this messed-up state?

These aren't real Word endnotes, correct--you just typed numbers and then
typed a numbered list at the end, without using Word's Insert | Footnote
command?

So the numbered text of the notes is still at the end of the document?

It might be possible to Find & Replace all the 0 90-90-90s with a SEQ field
that would increment, but I am not quite sure how to set up such an SEQ
field and since the numbers in the text are all mixed in with the note
numbers, you would not be able to do a blanket Replace All, but would have
to Find Next through the whole thing.

DM

Sandra wrote:
Thank you very much for that good suggestion.
Unfortunately, I had already closed the program. Also, I
tried Undo, but the screen said it could not Undo. I
suppose it is because there are 20,000 numbers. Please,
does anyone have any other ideas? I pray this is a
fixable problem, since it will take days to insert the
endotes plus all the text numbers.

I am angry with myself because I bought Go Back but
didn't install it yet. Thank you.