Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
PeterBBailey PeterBBailey is offline

Default Top margin. Why can't I control it?

I want to put in our company logo at the top left of a page. It's a big
character, 156 point. It's using a special logo font I made with a font
program I have. When I type the character in, it's lowered way down on the
page. My page layout is set to top. My top margin is set to what I want it,
just half an inch or so. I've tried "raising" my font character 60 or 70
points, but, it doesn't do anything. I've changed the font to a standard
Roman font and it still does nothing. Help!

Thanks,
Peter

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

Word is allowing a lot of extra line spacing for your font character. You
have a number of options:

1. Reduce the line spacing until the logo is *almost* truncated.

2. Put the logo in a text box, wrapped, and partly off the page (not a
really great idea).

3. Use a graphic for the logo instead; having a logo as a font character is
not really that great an idea.

4. Redesign the font with less built-in leading.

"PeterBBailey" wrote in message
I want to put in our company logo at the top left of a page. It's a big
character, 156 point. It's using a special logo font I made with a font
program I have. When I type the character in, it's lowered way down on the
page. My page layout is set to top. My top margin is set to what I want
it,
just half an inch or so. I've tried "raising" my font character 60 or 70
points, but, it doesn't do anything. I've changed the font to a standard
Roman font and it still does nothing. Help!

Thanks,
Peter

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

[...]

Thanks, but, none of this works. I have no extra leading at all for this character. I have no extra paragraph spacing above the paragraph either. I've already tried importing a picture, but that's a separate nightmare. I'm using Word 2007 and, I have to say, it's the worst of all of them with regarding to importing pictures. I used to be able to import an EPS file and scale it to my liking. Now, when I import my EPS file, even one scaled down to the EXACT size I want, it displays it 100 times as wide as it really as and 100 times as short as it really is. And, I can't seem to scale it. So, I've pretty much given up on Word as a "desktop publishing" engine. I'm considered an "expert" here at my company with this software, believe it or not, but, I have to hit Word with a stick every day to make it do what I want. But, here, it's defeated me. . . .

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
CyberTaz CyberTaz is offline

Sorry to butt in, but just a thought & I'll butt out:-)

If your logo is designed as a font it may not be a matter of "extra" space
so much as a matter of "default" space. Unless you explicitly designed it to
do otherwise the line spacing for the para your logo is in is set to Single
which translates to leading of 120% of the font size - which in this case is
quite a lot. What happens if you set the line spacing for that para to
Exactly the same size as the logo character... plus maybe a few fractions of
a pt or so?

Regards |:)
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac

On 1/15/08 2:50 PM, in article
, "PeterBBailey"
wrote:

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

That's what I was getting at as well.

.. .

wrote:

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

[...]

My font character is designed appropriate. Yes, originally, my paragraph
spacing was set to single. I changed it to an exact point measure, starting
with about 80 points of leading. On the screen, the character moves up,
appropriately, but, it also shaves off the top of itself so that you can't
see the top half of the character. I tried a variety of leadings and they all
chop it off. When it prints, though, it looks good. But, that's no way to
work in a page layout program. And, as I said, this strangeness occurs if I
were to use boring old Arial, too, so, the problem has nothing to do with my
font.

I tried putting the character in the header, as you suggested, Suzanne. That
did work, but, it's still shaving off the top of the character. And, in a
text box, it behaves exactly the same.

What I've ended up doing is simply giving my colleagues actual printed
letterhead and showing them how to put it in the printer so they can type
their letters with it.

Thanks, anyway. Word is a very good word processor, but, it's unbelievably
bad as a page layout program.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

FWIW, I have never had the sort of problems you describe, and I put text and
graphics in the page header all the time. There is, of course, a certain
amount of unprintable area at the top of the page, so if you're trying to
print full bleed you'll be disappointed.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

That's what I was getting at as well.

.. .

wrote:

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

[...]

Embed word control as rich text control in asp.net? Daniel Microsoft Word Help 1 May 7th 07 08:56 PM
Footer margin, text margin, and bottom of page problems Terri Page Layout 17 January 17th 07 03:16 PM
How do I regain control of my vertical margin on the left ruler? Angela Samoy Page Layout 1 August 16th 06 09:57 PM
right margin control corey Page Layout 1 April 12th 05 06:03 PM
using control center then change to control left takes the item c. mike Microsoft Word Help 4 February 14th 05 02:12 PM