Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
DFT DFT is offline

Default Disable Acrobat in Word Temporarily

How can I disable/enable Acrobat 7 in Word 2002?

View/Tools only removes the PDFMaker toolbar, not the text commands in the
main word toolbar.

Templates and Add-Ins shows no add-ins.

Adding/Deleting the COM add-in in the registry requires too many steps.

Surely there ought to be a way to toggle Acrobat in Word, as there was in
earlier versions.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Previous Acrobat versions used a template add-in. Acrobat 7 uses a COM
add-in and is thus not accessible from the Templates and Add-ins dialog. You
can make it available from the COM add-ins dialog, but I would caution
against it. For more information see
http://www.gmayor.com/lose_that_adob...at_toolbar.htm

DFT wrote:
How can I disable/enable Acrobat 7 in Word 2002?

View/Tools only removes the PDFMaker toolbar, not the text commands
in the main word toolbar.

Templates and Add-Ins shows no add-ins.

Adding/Deleting the COM add-in in the registry requires too many
steps.

Surely there ought to be a way to toggle Acrobat in Word, as there
was in earlier versions.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
DFT DFT is offline

I had read Graham Mayor's intelligent analysis "Lose that Adobe Acrobat
Toolbar" before I posted my question. If I understand him correctly, there
is no safe way to turn Acrobat 7 on/off in Word now. (The toolbar can of
course be turned off, but not the commands in the main menu.) Are we really
stuck with the choice between removing it completely or having it there all
the time?

DFT wrote:
How can I disable/enable Acrobat 7 in Word 2002?

View/Tools only removes the PDFMaker toolbar, not the text commands
in the main word toolbar.

Templates and Add-Ins shows no add-ins.

Adding/Deleting the COM add-in in the registry requires too many
steps.

Surely there ought to be a way to toggle Acrobat in Word, as there
was in earlier versions.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

As I explained in my last post and in detail on the web page, you can set
this by making a registry change, however as the web page explains this is
not without some issues. The only alternative is to uninstall the add-in and
reinstall it as required.

Frankly I don't see the problem with having it running. You can turn off the
toolbars if you like and you need the add-in to provide the full
functionality of Acrobat from Word. I have noticed no difference in
performance from Word with the add-in present.

DFT wrote:
How can I disable/enable Acrobat 7 in Word 2002?

View/Tools only removes the PDFMaker toolbar, not the text commands
in the main word toolbar.

Templates and Add-Ins shows no add-ins.

Adding/Deleting the COM add-in in the registry requires too many
steps.

Surely there ought to be a way to toggle Acrobat in Word, as there
was in earlier versions.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
DFT DFT is offline

I had tried the registry change, and had some of the "issues" you identified.
As you advised, this is not a safe way to go.

The disadvantages of running Acrobat at least on my system are (1) Word
loads somewhat more slowly; and (2) two commands with long text names are
added to the main toolbar, causing it to expand into a second row. If I
remove the commands by 'customize' they return the next time Word loads.

There are greater problems in the world of Word, and so I'll stop bothering
you and others with this one. Still, it would seem that Adobe ought to be
more considerate of Word users.

DFT wrote:
How can I disable/enable Acrobat 7 in Word 2002?

View/Tools only removes the PDFMaker toolbar, not the text commands
in the main word toolbar.

Templates and Add-Ins shows no add-ins.

Adding/Deleting the COM add-in in the registry requires too many
steps.

Surely there ought to be a way to toggle Acrobat in Word, as there
was in earlier versions.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

You can change the way the toolbar displays the icons (there should only be
three tiny icons in Word) - tools customize right click and change the
display to 'default'.
You can get Word to give you more toolbar real estate by tools customize
options, show standard and formatting toolbars on two rows. There is then
plenty of room to park the toolbar (or just turn off the toolbar view
toolbars).
As for Adobe's relationship with Word users, you need to take that up with
Adobe.