Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Bernard Littman

Default Printing an Attachment containing {FORMTEXT}

I have a problem when printing an attachment received with an AOL
e-mail.

My PC uses WORD 2000 and Windows Me.

The attachment contains the statement "This work will be performed at
a fixed price of $123,456.00."

Pressing ALT+F9 toggles that sentence between "This work will be
performed at a fixed price of $123,456.00." and the sentence "This
work will be performed at a fixed price of {FORMTEXT}.

However, when the attachment is printed, the printed text reads "This
work will be performed at a fixed price of $0.00."

After the attempt to print the attachment, pressing ALT+F9 toggles the
sentence between "This work will be performed at a fixed price of
$0.00." and the sentence "This work will be performed at a fixed price
of {FORMTEXT}.

Several of my associates received the same e-mail and were able to
print the attachment without a problem, i.e., with the price of
$123,456.00.

In case it matters, the following settings were observed when the
attachment was first loaded:

(1) Tools, Protect Document, in the Protect Document dialog box, "
Tracked changes" was checked and "Comments" and "Forms" were not
checked.

(2) Tools, Options, Print Tab, under "Include with document" no blocks
were checked.

(3) Tools, Options, Print Tab, "Options for current document only",
"Print data only for forms" was not checked.

I will be grateful for any leads you can give me on why the printout
does not match the original text.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Bernard Littman

Thanks to Suzanne S. Barnhill for the prompt reply.

In an effort to lock the form, I tried the following sequence, both
before and after opening the attachment:

Tools, Protect Document, check Forms in the Protect Document box.

In both cases, the sentence in the attachment changed to "This work
will be performed at a fixed price of $0.00." With protect then open,
the change occurred when printing. With open then protect, the change
occurred immediately without printing.

I spoke to the sender of the e-mail who said he was having a lot of
computer problems at the time he sent the e-mail in question.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
It sounds as if either the form was not locked or printing was

unlocking it
and updating the fields.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

The form must be protected when the figure is entered and remain protected
through printing. I'm not sure what's going wrong here, but in most versions
of Word, fields in an unprotected form will be updated (reset to zero or
blank) when you print.

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Bernard Littman

I used the sequence below from Suzanne Barnhill’s article “Why is my
‘Blank Document’ not Blank?” on the Microsoft Word MVP FAQ site.

Start, Run, Winword.exe /a

This sequence runs Word with the default Normal.dot. The attachment
printed perfectly.

Thanks for all your help.

[...]

"Bernard Littman" wrote in

message