Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Big John Big John is offline

Default How do I add brackets to multiple words in a WORD document?

How do I add brackets to multiple words in a WORD document? For example, if I
have 300 words in a WORD 2000 document & I want to enclose all of them in
brackets, how do I do this?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jezebel Jezebel is offline

With 'Use wildcards' checked --

Find: (*)
Replace: (\1)

"Big John" Big wrote in message
How do I add brackets to multiple words in a WORD document? For example,
if I
have 300 words in a WORD 2000 document & I want to enclose all of them in
brackets, how do I do this?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Big John Big John is offline

Thanks Jezebel, but I guess I need to be more specific. Let's say I have a
list like this (the specific words don't matter):

test
test one
test one two
test one two three
test one two three four
test one two three four five
test

and I want the list to look like this:

[test]
[test one]
[test one two]
[test one two three]
[test one two three four]
[test one two three four five]
[test]

How do I do this? Keep in mind that I have a list of over 300 phrases
ranging from 1 to 5 words in length. Your help is greatly appreciated.

"Jezebel" wrote:

With 'Use wildcards' checked --

Find: (*)
Replace: (\1)

"Big John" Big wrote in message
How do I add brackets to multiple words in a WORD document? For example,
if I
have 300 words in a WORD 2000 document & I want to enclose all of them in
brackets, how do I do this?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jezebel Jezebel is offline

Specificity helps. Those are paragraphs you're bracketing, not words. Clear
the 'Use wildcards' checkbox, then --

Find: ^p
Replace: ]^p[

Then manually insert the [ in front of the very first paragraph.

"Jezebel" wrote:

With 'Use wildcards' checked --

Find: (*)
Replace: (\1)

"Big John" Big wrote in message
How do I add brackets to multiple words in a WORD document? For
example,
if I
have 300 words in a WORD 2000 document & I want to enclose all of them
in
brackets, how do I do this?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Big John Big John is offline

No luck. After performing the recommended find & replace, nothing happens. If
you don't mind Jezebel, please continue assisting me with this issue - I
really appreciate it. If at all possible, could you do a simple test on your
end to see if your recommended find & replace is working for you? If it does
indeed insert brackets around each paragraph, then please post the exact text
you typed for the test. Also, if you could explain what the characters mean
in your recommended find & replace, maybe I can figure out what I'm doing
wrong. Thanks again.

"Jezebel" wrote:

With 'Use wildcards' checked --

Find: (*)
Replace: (\1)

"Big John" Big wrote in message
How do I add brackets to multiple words in a WORD document? For
example,
if I
have 300 words in a WORD 2000 document & I want to enclose all of them
in
brackets, how do I do this?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jezebel Jezebel is offline

Yes, it works for me. That replacement assumes that each line is in fact a
separate paragraph. ^p in find and replace is equivalent to ¶, so the
function replaces

blah blah¶

with

blah blah]¶
[

If it isn't working, what do you have at the end of each line? (Click the ¶
button to display formatting characters.) If you have a newline character in
place of a paragraph mark, use ^l (ell) in your find and replace codes in
place of ^p.

"Jezebel" wrote:

With 'Use wildcards' checked --

Find: (*)
Replace: (\1)

"Big John" Big wrote in message
How do I add brackets to multiple words in a WORD document? For
example,
if I
have 300 words in a WORD 2000 document & I want to enclose all of
them
in
brackets, how do I do this?

SAM&MAS SAM&MAS is offline
Junior Member

Question

How do I enclose in brackets a specific part of multiple paragraphs, in a WORD Document? The only thing that unites them is the equal sign '='
(Where '*.* 'is any number of letters, and '...' any number of words)

It looks like:

*.* = *.*
*.* = *.*
*.* = *.*
*.* = *.*
*.* = *.*

and I want the list to look like this:

How can I do this

Thank you

Last edited by SAM&MAS : January 23rd 19 at 01:30 PM
hotmaillogin hotmaillogin is offline
Junior Member

This is amazing information. Thanks for sharing. Hotmail login