HELP Missing Section Number Messes pg numbering

Old January 29th 09, 04:46 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Janet A. Thompson

Default HELP Missing Section Number Messes pg numbering

My document goes from Section 3 to Section 5. The early section break types
are Next Page but later in the doc there are some continuous breaks where
graphics have been inserted. Due to missing Section 4, the page numbering is
not sequential.
How to fix!
--
Janet A.
Old January 29th 09, 04:53 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

Section 4 is not "missing"; it's just not accessible from the header/footer
because it's in the middle of a page. Place the insertion point between the
Continuous breaks that define Section 4 and use Format Page Number. This is
easy if you have Word 2007 (it is directly accessible from the Ribbon). In
an earlier version, use Insert | Page Numbers | Format. Change numbering to
"Continue from previous section," OK, Close.

http://word.mvps.org

Old January 29th 09, 05:46 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Janet A. Thompson

I'm not explaining clearly.

In Section 3 there are 2 continuous breaks in the middle of the page and
footer shows the correct page number as 10
The next page shows that it is section 5 and the page number in the footer
is 2.
The page 1 is totally missing and it is jumping section 4.

I did a search as you suggested but it was not found.
THANKS for your help.
--
Janet A.

Old April 13th 11, 08:52 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Lindsey Narloch

Default Send me the document as an attachment and I will fix it.

I am having a similar problem and unable to fix the numbering where there is a break in the numbering of the sections.

I would appreciate any advice.

Old May 22nd 14, 05:44 PM
Deb O'Neill Deb O'Neill is offline

I read this and thought I was finally saved!!!!! My columns in the middle of a page are a continuous section. I placed my cursor like you said - between the continuous break and did format page number. Unfortunately, that changes my page number in the header - even though that is section 3 and my columns are section 4. So, this did not help! I'm going nuts with a 500 page document. It only had 3 sections which was managed fine. Now that I have columns in there, the pages just follow the columns, so everything now starts at 2. I don't want to manually change all the numbers. Any other suggestions? Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzanne S. Barnhill View Post

Old November 15th 16, 12:17 AM
navr navr is offline

Originally Posted by Janet A. Thompson View Post
My document goes from Section 3 to Section 5. The early section break types
are Next Page but later in the doc there are some continuous breaks where
graphics have been inserted. Due to missing Section 4, the page numbering is
not sequential.
How to fix!
--
Janet A.
This is a bug in MS Word 2010, probably other versions as well. For some reason it only happens in transition from Section 3 to Section 4 (it skips 4 and goes straight to Section 5). Stupid, stupid Microsoft.