Word 2003

Old January 18th 05, 06:41 PM

Default Word 2003

How to override the track changes default?
Old January 18th 05, 07:34 PM

What part of it do you want to change? Have you looked at the options on the
Track Changes tab of Tools | Options?

" wrote in
message ...
How to override the track changes default?

Old January 19th 05, 06:11 PM

Is it possible to turn it off so that it does not track any revisions and
comments at all?

To clean up every file by accepting or rejecting all revision marks and
deleting all comments is a waste of time. The feature may be useful, but the
user should be able to decide when to use it.

Old January 20th 05, 12:46 AM

Track Changes is not enabled by default in any version of Word. If it is
turned on for a specific document, then it is because you or the document
creator turned it on.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

What part of it do you want to change? Have you looked at the options on

the
Track Changes tab of Tools | Options?

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"

wrote in
message ...
How to override the track changes default?

Old January 20th 05, 05:41 AM
mommahinc

I've tried this add in and it won't install because it wants me to choose
"enable macros" in the installing process. I am unable to "enable macros"
because that choice is not available disable macros is the only choice I'm
given.
A.Hinc

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

If clearing the "Show task pane at startup" box has not worked for you, you
need the Task Pane Controller add-in from
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Customizat...owTaskPane.htm

"ron clifton" ron wrote in message
How can I remove "TASK PANE" from WORD 2003. Every time I remove, it

returns
with reopening- I want to remove it!!!!

Old January 20th 05, 06:02 PM

If you have installed the Task Pane Controller in Word's Startup folder and
have checked the box for "Trust all installed templates and add-ins" on the
Trusted Sources tab of Tools | Macro | Security, you shouldn't be getting a
macro prompt.

Old February 9th 05, 04:25 PM
CarolChris

If it is not enabled by default, why then does a form created in an earlier
version of Word and protected as a form (not for tracked changes) open in
Word 2003 displaying the tracked changes? It seems that Word 2003 thinks the
form is protected for tracked changes. My company recently updated to Office
2003, and this issue with forms has been a major complaint from many users.

Old February 9th 05, 05:22 PM
Margaret Aldis

You are confusing several different issues here.

'Protecting for tracked changes' is a setting that locks the document so
that changes are tracked and the user can't turn it off from the toolbar. It
isn't the same as just having tracked changes set 'on' (so any changes are
marked), nor is it the same as having changes (insertions and deletions)
showing up in the document.

Word 2003 will by default open documents in the 'Final showing mark-up' view
if there are tracked changes in the document (whether or not tracking is
currently on, whether or not document is protected for tracking). If
documents created in earlier versions of Word open like this, then it is
because you were (perhaps inadvertently) tracking changes at some time in
the past, and you have never accepted/rejected those changes. Word 2003 has
a new view default here, but it doesn't turn tracking (or protection) on and
it certainly can't generate revisions that weren't already in the document!
I assume the idea of the new view default was to alert people to the
revisions stored in their document to avoid embarrassment, though from the
posts here it often seems to ensure that Word 2003 recipients see changes
Word 2002 senders had forgotten about without even trying to snoop g.

The only way of removing changes in documents is to accept or reject the
changes. But if all you want to do is clean out the revision marking,
without any backtracking of the changes you've made, you just turn off
tracking (if it's still on) and 'Accept all changes' (available on the
dropdown menu beside the Accept Change button) - you don't have to accept
each change individually. You can *view* the document without the changes by
choosing Final without Markup, but that will leave the changes in the file,
and they will be visible on opening.

--
Margaret Aldis - Microsoft Word MVP

Old February 17th 05, 11:55 PM
Brian

So what you are saying is there is no way to open a document and NOT SHOW
MARKUP?

This question has been posted on here about 5 times and every time the
question is not answered. I do not really care if past versions had it on or
not I just want to open a document and see the document not all past
versions. The reason this is so aggravating is in my job we reuse old word
doc's for YEARS we have some (while showing markup) going back to 96. I do
not like having the inconvenience of having to hit view and unclick Markup.

Can you set up a MACRO to do it since no one else can figure how to turn a
default setting off?

Old February 18th 05, 12:13 AM

You can open the document without showing markup in two ways:

1. Clear the check box for "Make hidden markup visible when opening or
saving" on the Security tab of Tools | Options (the dangerous way).

2. Remove the markup by accepting all changes (the better way).

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

What part of it do you want to change? Have you looked at the

options on
the
Track Changes tab of Tools | Options?

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"

wrote in
message

How to override the track changes default?

In typing dates in Word, i.e. "January 12" how do you keep the "1. Carol Microsoft Word Help 2 January 12th 05 08:09 PM
macro in word js Microsoft Word Help 1 December 28th 04 03:01 AM
Acrobat writer 5.0 Compatibility with word 2003 Norman Marshall Microsoft Word Help 1 November 25th 04 11:12 AM