is there a way to repeat content of cell from last row from previous page?

Old August 31st 06, 06:08 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
ip

Default is there a way to repeat content of cell from last row from previous page?

I have a table that slits across multiple pages. The table is a simple
grid with header rows.
In firts column there is a group identifier that is nonblank only if
row is first in group (see below)
Parent Name Children Names
Mary Anne
Betty
John Mark
Peter John
Paul
Amy

If table goes to next page, and break occurs in the middle of group, I
want Parent name to appear:

Parent Name Children Names
Mary Anne
Betty
John Mark
Peter John
Paul
____ page break _____

Parent Name Children Names
Peter Amy

(Page breaks are automatic)

Is there a way to do this? I thought to use somethign as follows:
whenever Parent Name changes, I insert an incremental bookmark to the
parent name (bk1, bk2, ...). and the SEQ field that increments by one
whenever parent name changes
Then I would add a line to header row that has a REF field in first
column, and the bookmark name for this REF field would be bk+value of
SEQ field. Is this possible? I tried
{REF bk{={SEQ xx}}} but this generates "Error!Reference not found"...

Thanks in advance for any advice

Old September 2nd 06, 10:51 AM posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Cindy M.

Hi Ip,

Try the STYLEREF field. The help topic explains how it works.

[...]

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

Old September 6th 06, 04:04 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
ip

Cindy,
thank you very much. Since I posted the queston, I found other posts
sugestign styleref and I tried to use it.

It works, but the solution seems quite complicated: since I want to
show "Parent Name" in the middle of the group ONLY if the middle of the
group appears as first row on a page, I need to be able to detect
automatic page breaks. I have done it with a series of SEQ and IF
fields (on each row, IF fields checks if this row is first on a new
page, and if so, it resolves to STYLEREF field.
Do you know of any simpler way?

Thanks

Iza

Old September 6th 06, 05:03 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Cindy M.

Hi Ip,

It works, but the solution seems quite complicated: since I want to
show "Parent Name" in the middle of the group ONLY if the middle of the
group appears as first row on a page, I need to be able to detect
automatic page breaks. I have done it with a series of SEQ and IF
fields (on each row, IF fields checks if this row is first on a new
page, and if so, it resolves to STYLEREF field.
Do you know of any simpler way?

Don't know if it's "simpler" from your point of view, but personally I
might consider just running a macro on the document just before
printing/publishing. (IOW static, not dynamic generation of the "repeat
content").