Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
[email protected] nmercard7@hotmail.com is offline

Default Office 2007 / Office 2003 conflict

I have been running Office 2003 (wife uses Word) and 2007 Beta 2 without
problem until installing the new update which extends and enhances 07. Now,
if I log on and run Word 07 I get "Configuring Microsoft Office Profession
Plus 2007... It will then work fine until my wife logs on and starts 03 and
gets "Preparing to install..." She also ges a Portal Connect.dll error which
she must ignore. Ultimately, Repair and Detect will get 03 tunning again
until I start 07.
Any help would be greatly apprectiated.
--
Nick Merc
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Catherine Catherine is offline

I think you just can't use both versions. I experienced the same problem and
eventually uninstalled Word 2003. Good luck!
Catherine

" wrote:

I have been running Office 2003 (wife uses Word) and 2007 Beta 2 without
problem until installing the new update which extends and enhances 07. Now,
if I log on and run Word 07 I get "Configuring Microsoft Office Profession
Plus 2007... It will then work fine until my wife logs on and starts 03 and
gets "Preparing to install..." She also ges a Portal Connect.dll error which
she must ignore. Ultimately, Repair and Detect will get 03 tunning again
until I start 07.
Any help would be greatly apprectiated.
--
Nick Merc

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Patrick Schmid Patrick Schmid is offline

I have been running Office 2003 (wife uses Word) and 2007 Beta 2
without
problem until installing the new update which extends and enhances 07. Now,
if I log on and run Word 07 I get "Configuring Microsoft Office Profession
Plus 2007... It will then work fine until my wife logs on and starts 03 and
gets "Preparing to install..." She also ges a Portal Connect.dll error which
she must ignore. Ultimately, Repair and Detect will get 03 tunning again
until I start 07.

She will have to live with the portal dll error. MS knows about it and
is investigating it, but I would not expect a workaround.

Any help would be greatly apprectiated.

Try running Office diagnostics. That should get rid of the message when
you open 2007.

Patrick Schmid
--------------
http://pschmid.net

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Patrick Schmid Patrick Schmid is offline

You can use both versions. There was a problem with Beta 2 in which Word
2003 and 2007 would constantly fight over who gets to be the default for
doc files. That issue should have been resolved in B2TR, and now Word
2003 should not try to get the file type back all the time. It might be
necessary though to run Office Diagnostics (a 2007 component) once.

Patrick Schmid
http://pschmid.net

: