CK

Default FILLIN field, In previous version of word, on opening of....

Hi everyone,

We have a fax template document that has a few FILLIN fields. On opening of
this template it used to ask the user what data you would like in the FILLIN
fields.

This used to work fine in Office 97. We have just updated to 2003 Word and
now it does not ask these on opening of the file.

However if I open the same file in Openoffice it asks the questions on
opening of the file as it did in Office 97

Has Word 2003 been changed to not ask these questions on opening of the
file. I am aware you can enable update fields in the print options, which
then prompts you when you press the print button. But we would prefer to
have this on opening of the file.

Is there a setting somewhere in Word 2003 to enable this?

Cindy M -WordMVP-

Hi ?B?Q0s=?=,

I seem to recall replying to this same question a few days ago...

If you OPEN a template, Fillin fields won't display. Not in any version of
Word. They should when you create a new document from a template.

We have a fax template document that has a few FILLIN fields. On opening of
this template it used to ask the user what data you would like in the FILLIN
fields.

This used to work fine in Office 97. We have just updated to 2003 Word and
now it does not ask these on opening of the file.

However if I open the same file in Openoffice it asks the questions on
opening of the file as it did in Office 97

Has Word 2003 been changed to not ask these questions on opening of the
file. I am aware you can enable update fields in the print options, which
then prompts you when you press the print button. But we would prefer to
have this on opening of the file.

Is there a setting somewhere in Word 2003 to enable this?

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

CK

Hi,

Yes and I read your answer to this question and it did not help me.

When I double click my .dot file on my desktop (I am running XP Office Word
2002) it opens and asks the questions on opening of the file. When I open
the same file in the same way on Word 2003 it does not ask on opening. It
opens the same in all other versions of office/word apart from 2003.

Have you tried this?

"Cindy M -WordMVP-" wrote:

[...]

Cindy M -WordMVP-

Hi ?B?Q0s=?=,

When I double click my .dot file on my desktop (I am running XP Office Word
2002) it opens and asks the questions on opening of the file. When I open
the same file in the same way on Word 2003 it does not ask on opening. It
opens the same in all other versions of office/word apart from 2003.

Have you tried this?

Yes, it works just fine, here. Just tested it again, to make sure.

When you double-click a file on the desktop, a "default command" is executed.
With *.dot files, the default command generally is to create a new file. But
it's possible that something on the system has changed the default to "open"
instead of "New". When you double-click and it doesn't work, what's the name
of the file in the Word title bar? Is it Document [n] or [TemplateName].dot?

It shouldn't make a difference, but you might check whether "Update links on
open" is activated in Tools/Options/General. If it's not, try activating it
and see if that has any effect.

Envelope Address GR New Users 5 April 24th 05 09:48 PM
Wordperfect Office 2000 conversion to Word 2003 MikeE New Users 1 March 21st 05 01:04 AM
Open with... does not include Word Flip Microsoft Word Help 14 March 9th 05 03:35 PM
Boiletplates from Word Perfect linda Microsoft Word Help 1 January 28th 05 06:37 PM