Kat

Default Why does using the "Save As" function crash Word?

Hello:

Would anyone know why the "save as" function in Word is incredible slow when
I attemp to open the drop down menu for selecting another save location?
Clicking the drop-down once will freeze the "save as" window and any open
word documents. After 20-30 seconds it will final unfreeze and show the drop
down, but then naviagating through folders after that is equally slow. If I
attempt to click before it resolves then Word will crash. This is on a
network of a few hundred computers. As far as we know, it is just my PC and
one other having this problem.

I have tried cleaning out my temp directory and restarting. In the meantime
I am simply typing in a filename and pathway with out navigating the drop
down menu in the "save as" window.

Thanks for any assistance.
garfield-n-odie

Right-click on the My Computer icon on the Windows desktop,
left-click on Disconnect Network Drive, and disconnect any mapped
network drives that are not currently available.

Kat wrote:

Hello:

Would anyone know why the "save as" function in Word is incredible slow when
I attemp to open the drop down menu for selecting another save location?
Clicking the drop-down once will freeze the "save as" window and any open
word documents. After 20-30 seconds it will final unfreeze and show the drop
down, but then naviagating through folders after that is equally slow. If I
attempt to click before it resolves then Word will crash. This is on a
network of a few hundred computers. As far as we know, it is just my PC and
one other having this problem.

I have tried cleaning out my temp directory and restarting. In the meantime
I am simply typing in a filename and pathway with out navigating the drop
down menu in the "save as" window.

Thanks for any assistance.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
YONCE

I have the same problem and all my network drives are connected and working
fine. I've seen this fix before it's not working. There's something more
serious in the last patch that MS released. Anone else?

Kat wrote:

Hello:

Would anyone know why the "save as" function in Word is incredible slow when
I attemp to open the drop down menu for selecting another save location?
Clicking the drop-down once will freeze the "save as" window and any open
word documents. After 20-30 seconds it will final unfreeze and show the drop
down, but then naviagating through folders after that is equally slow. If I
attempt to click before it resolves then Word will crash. This is on a
network of a few hundred computers. As far as we know, it is just my PC and
one other having this problem.

I have tried cleaning out my temp directory and restarting. In the meantime
I am simply typing in a filename and pathway with out navigating the drop
down menu in the "save as" window.

Thanks for any assistance.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Loot

My problem is similar yet different. When I try to use "save as" Word simply
freezes. Same happens in Excel. I do not have any network drive connected. I
can not see that I have "KB908531" installed. I have Word 2003 (11.6568.6568)
SP2.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Loot

I have the following configuration:

Application name Microsoft Word
Version 11.0
Build 6568
Product ID 73931-641-7191433-57742
Application path C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE11
Language English (United States)
System language designation English (U.S.)
Active printer hp officejet v series on NE02:
Documents open 1
Document name Document1
Document path Document1
Document size 10.7 KB
Document create date 4/14/2006 11:35:00 AM
Templates 1
Template name Normal.dot
Template path C:\Documents and Settings\Loot Gous\Application
Data\Microsoft\Templates
Template type Normal
Add-Ins 0

OS Name Microsoft Windows XP Professional
Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2 Build 2600
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Manufacturer MICRO-STAR INTERNATIONAL CO., LTD
System Model MS-7211
System Type X86-based PC
Processor x86 Family 15 Model 4 Stepping 3 GenuineIntel ~3193 Mhz
Processor x86 Family 15 Model 4 Stepping 3 GenuineIntel ~3193 Mhz
BIOS Version/Date Phoenix Technologies, LTD 6.00 PG, 1/13/2006
SMBIOS Version 2.3
Windows Directory C:\WINDOWS
System Directory C:\WINDOWS\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
Locale United States
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "5.1.2600.2180
(xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158)"
Time Zone South Africa Standard Time
Total Physical Memory 1,024.00 MB
Available Physical Memory 567.23 MB
Total Virtual Memory 2.00 GB
Available Virtual Memory 1.96 GB
Page File Space 2.26 GB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys

Kat wrote:

Hello:

Would anyone know why the "save as" function in Word is incredible
slow when I attemp to open the drop down menu for selecting another
save location?
Clicking the drop-down once will freeze the "save as" window and any
open word documents. After 20-30 seconds it will final unfreeze and show
the drop down, but then naviagating through folders after that is equally
slow. If I attempt to click before it resolves then Word will crash. This is
on a network of a few hundred computers. As far as we know, it is just my
PC and one other having this problem.

I have tried cleaning out my temp directory and restarting. In the
meantime I am simply typing in a filename and pathway with out
navigating the drop down menu in the "save as" window.

Thanks for any assistance.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

In Windows Control Panel | Add and Remove Programs, you must check a box or
click a button to Show Updates for the updates to be listed. I also found
that various updates were listed (in Windows 2000) at various points in the
alphabetical list depending on their naming conventions.

Kat wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Joe Levine

Suzanne -

Great! Your instructions worked perfectly. I'm now up and running again
and able to use the Save As function along with opening files in MS Word and
Excel. Previously MS Word & Excel would lock up any time I attempted to Save
or Open a file.

Joe

Kat wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

FWIW, there's a safer method that doesn't require uninstalling the update.
See "Problems in Windows Explorer or the Windows shell after you install
security update MS06-015" at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/918165

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

In Windows Control Panel | Add and Remove Programs, you must check a box

or
click a button to Show Updates for the updates to be listed. I also

found
that various updates were listed (in Windows 2000) at various points in

the
alphabetical list depending on their naming conventions.

Word MVP FAQ site:
http://word.mvps.org

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

Kat wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Thanks very much for all the responses.

I solved my problem by uninstalling Norton Antivirus!

Kind Regards
Loot
http:\\www.lootgous.com

"Loot" wrote in message
My problem is similar yet different. When I try to use "save as" Word
simply freezes. Same happens in Excel. I do not have any network drive
connected.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Bigbogboy Bigbogboy is offline

I had the same competer freeze when trying to "Save As" using the drop down
browse function. I could save-as by using selecting "my computer" on the left
menu. Suzanne's indication that it was a network issue caused me to think
that this problem occurs on my wife's laptop used on our homenetwork! We had
gone away and shutdown all computers including our server PC located in a
basement office (out of sight & out of mind). Rather than uninstall anything,
I simply booted the server (she uses it only to access networked printers)...
and the function "save as" in MSWord now works! thry this first... check to
see if networked servers are off-line.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Well, that's a curious approach and very unlikely to be the best!

oups.com...