Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Bill Mitchell Bill Mitchell is offline

Default Can I write code to customize Shortcut Menus in Word 2007?

As many of you are aware by now, M$ has RUINED one of the best features of
Word - the ability to customize Shortcut Menus.

I have about 20 different Macros I use on a regular basis in Word. They
used to reside on a nice little shortcut menu that I could right click and
access within a Word Document to do useful things like applying a style or
adding bullets WITHOUT having to click a button or touch the keyboard.

Alas, M$ decides that I wasn't working hard enough, so they got rid of
Shortcut Menu customization and gave me the "Quick Access Toolbar" instead.

Let's see, 20 different highly specialized macros on the Quick Access
Toolbar, all represented by a different little icon that I pray I can
remember which is which. After all, we can't have any nasty old WORDS on our
Quick Access Toolbar, can we? No, meaningless pictures are MUCH better.

Or, I can assign my 20 macros to 20 different Keyboard Shortcuts. Yes,
that's perfect. Ummm, now what does CTRL ALT P stand for again? Was that
"Add Paragraph" or "Reformat Hard Drive"?

Yep, why would I want Shortcut Menus that described exact what everything
was when I can THIS cryptic mess instead?

THE POINT:

Ok, now that I vented. Can I write some code that will create new Shortcut
Menu's (like I do in Access) or have the eliminated that option as well?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Summer Summer is offline

Try this:
http://pschmid.net/office2007/ribbon...izer/index.php.

"Bill Mitchell" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Bill Mitchell Bill Mitchell is offline

Thanks,

Those are nice but I am still trying to figure out why M$ willfully and with
malice of forethought DESTROYED a great product. Their only response seems
to be "just keep using it - you'll get to love it". Well, I've been using it
and I HATE it more every day.

I've tried having both versions of Word on my machine at same time but it
plays havock with some of the mail merge code I've written to work with
Access.

It's amazing that we are forced to hack a BRAND NEW RELEASE just to make it
halfway useable.

It reminds me of the Seinfled line - "so who were the ad wizards that came
up with this one?..."

Bill Mitchell wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Bill Mitchell Bill Mitchell is offline

Does this method allow me to create my own Shortcut Menus to use within the
body of the document?

Bill Mitchell wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
BrianBr BrianBr is offline

Bill,

If it is any help, I have just talked to a M$ rep and found out how to reset
the Right-Click Menu to original Default form.

------------------------------------
Close all MS Office Apps including Outlook.

In regedit, HKEY_CURRENT_USER, go to Software-Microsoft-Office-12.0-Word.
Rename Data to OldData
Rename Options to OldOptions
Close Regedit

In RUN (Start Menu) enter %appdata%
Goto Microsoft/Templates and make a back up of this folder.
Erase folder contents.

Start Word and the right-click menu should be reset to default

It is evident that the manipulation takes place in the Data and Options
folders in Regedit and that makes permanent changes to the Normal.dotm file.
Maybe from that you can figure out how to create what you want in the
right-click menus.

Hope this helps.